The programme aims to provide students, from a range of different professional backgrounds, with core knowledge and skills related to the practice of Public Health and Health Protection. This course supplies the knowledge and skills necessary for health protection (infection control) and public health on a global scale. The emphasis is on the use of evidence based healthcare and practice that will enable participants to work in infection prevention and control putting patient safety and public health principles into effect in both research and professional contexts.
Completion of the course will equip students with the knowledge to support them in the coordination and management of infection prevention, control and health protection services in a broad number of settings.
On completion of the Postgraduate Certificate in Health Protection students should be able to;
• Demonstrate an understanding of the principles of public health.
• Demonstrate an understanding of the appropriate management of infections caused by different pathogenic microorganisms.
• Investigate the transmission of endemic and epidemic infections from sufficient knowledge of the characteristics and transmission of causative organisms.
• Select appropriate methods for control of hospital and community acquired infectious disease.
• Design, implement and evaluate co-ordinated control methods utilising tools such as audit and surveillance.
• Assess constraints of health protection delivery services and provide possible solutions to barriers.
• Describe the global impact of infectious diseases and strategies which are effective, partially effective and ineffective in management and prevention.
• Discuss the wider aspects of Health Protection.
• Discuss and identify effective methods to bring about practice change.
The programme consists of a total of 30-credit modules; two 10-credit modules and two 5-credit modules. This is a structured online programme that requires approximately 15 to 25 hours of study commitment for the duration of each module. After successful completion and passing of the postgraduate certificate in health protection students will have the option of progressing to a Diploma and Master of Public Health.
Health Protection - Online
Remember to mention gradireland when contacting institutions!