The Postgraduate Certificate in Health Professions' Education is a part-time fully online programme. It is designed to provide healthcare professionals with the knowledge and skills to be effective educators. Students who have completed the PG Certificate and wish to further their education and development in the area of Health Professions' Education can progress to the Postgraduate Diploma and subsequently the Masters (MSc) also offered by the School of Medicine.
Why Choose This Course
The UCC Postgraduate Certificate, Postgraduate Diploma and Masters in Health Professions' Education is designed for busy healthcare professionals, including those working full time, who want to learn flexibly. UCC has a strong tradition in the education of educators and the Medical Education Unit is specifically dedicated to the development of teachers in the health professions. The course team includes faculty from the Medical Education Unit, Schools Nursing and Midwifery and Pharmacy, and the Department of General Practice, who have a broad range of experience and expertise in the area.
Students are required to engage with online materials and attend in person on campus at a limited number of workshops (at PG Diploma level), contribute to online discussions, link with peers, perform and reflect on teaching practice, and complete personal reading and written assignments. Face to face and online work including completion of online materials and contribution to discussions is expected to take in the region of 40 hours per 10 credit ECTS module. Additional time should be spent on self-directed reading, planning, performing and reflecting on teaching.
There is no work placement in this programme but students are expected to be able to access teaching opportunities to allow completion of compulsory assignments.
Students completing the MSc are expected to communicate regularly and attend meetings as required with their supervisor regarding their dissertation.
Students require the following skills and equipment:
• Basic computing and word processing skills
• PC or a laptop with an up to date operating systems capable of playing SCORM packages
• High Speed Broadband (a minimum of 1MB download speed and 500KB upload speed is required)
• Common plug-ins such as Microsoft Silverlight, Java and Flash
• Access to MS Office or an equivalent e.g. Open Office
• Access to a modern standards compliant web browser. UCC recommends either Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox
• Camera for recording a teaching episode (smartphone camera will suffice).