MSc(Agr) Sustainable Agriculture & Rural Development
Graduate Taught (level 9 nfq, credits 90)
The MSc Programme in Sustainable Agriculture and Rural Development represents a return to core values in the development of rural areas which are rooted in agricultural change as well as responding to new societal demands such as safe and ethically produced food, a healthier environment and sustainable and affordable energy.
• Equip graduates with capabilities in core analytical, conceptual, communications and research skills as well as providing the knowledge base required to develop careers in the broad arena of sustainable agriculture and rural development.
Vision and Values Statement
The MSc in Sustainable Agriculture and Rural Development is offered on both a full-time and part-time basis, offering a flexible approach by which students can equip themselves with the requisite skills and knowledge base to develop careers in the broad arena of sustainable agriculture and rural development. The goal of our programme is to prepare graduates for roles of leadership, advocacy and influence in local, national and overseas development settings. This is achieved by strengthening their capabilities in the relevant analytical, communications and entrepreneurship skills, underpinned by the provision of an enhanced understanding of the theory, policy and practice of rural development. The learning environment fosters individual and group-based activities, which develop students' skills of inquiry, critical thinking, self-directed and collaborative learning. A variety of teaching and learning approaches are used including group project work, student presentations, individual assignments, field trips and case study work.
• Understand the key principles and practices that make agriculture sustainable;
• Demonstrate enhanced problem-solving skills for application to issues in agriculture and rural development and the ability to formulate/evaluate potential solutions
• Understand and interpret strategies applied in achieving the objectives of SARD in Irish, EU and developing country contexts.
• Complete a research proposal related to a sustainable agriculture and rural development issue, undertaking relevant field and desk research, review and present literature and present and analyse relevant data.
• Understand of the nature and practice of rural diversification;
• Plan and implement strategic communications campaigns in Sustainable Agriculture and Rural Development (SARD) settings;
• Understand the context within which sustainable agriculture and rural development related policies are devised.