MPP Public Policy
Graduate Taught (level 9 nfq, credits 90)
Public policy making has become more challenging in recent years in the context of the increasing complexity of clients' needs, growing expectations regarding appropriate service quality and diminishing public spending in many countries. The Master of Public Policy is specifically designed to provide you with the knowledge and skills to meet these challenges.
We examine the socio-economic changes and political issues which influence policy making, the challenges associated with effective regulation and administration of public services and ensuring that policy decisions are evidence based. If you are interested in public policy research you can take a number of specialist modules on this issue. We also provide a number of optional streams which will enable you to examine different policy fields in depth.
The Master of Public Policy is a 90-credit programme. The duration is one year full time or two years part time. A 60-credit version of the programme is available as a Graduate Diploma without thesis.
- Core modules introduce you to the key concepts, theories and analytic techniques which underpin public policy analysis.
- Optional specialist streams which enable you to examine the policy fields which interest you in-depth.
- Citizenship, Rights & Policy Stream
- Community, Drugs & Health Policy Stream
- Economic Policy Stream
- Environmental Policy Stream
- European Union Policy Stream
- Regulatory Governance Stream
- Research Methods Stream
- Urban Policy Stream
- Optional research stream which provides you with the skills to pursue a career in public policy research.
- A unique interdisciplinary course where modules are offered by various schools across University (Applied Social Science, Economics, Geography, Law, Philosophy, Politics, Public Health, Social Justice and Sociology)
- A choice of Master's thesis or Internship.
- There is an opportunity to undertake the MA (Public Policy and Management) at the City University of Hong Kong subsequent to MA-Public Policy completion.
- There is a possibility of progressing to the PhD in Public Policy.
- There is an option of the Graduate Diploma in Public Policy without a dissertation.