Professional Certificate Dual Energy X-ray Absorptiometry
• Targeted towards health care professionals currently involved in the everyday practice and interpretation of DXA scanning.
• Material is delivered via a blended learning approach online, providing a flexible approach to accommodate busy health care professionals and clinical site planning and taught lectures which will be delivered over two UCD based days.
• This course will lead participants from basic to advanced practice in DXA, delivered by experts in the field.
With an ageing population, the use of DXA examinations to detect signs of osteoporotic changes will play a pivotal role in diagnosis of this condition alongside recommendations on its management. DXA examinations are extremely operator dependent and very sensitive to discrepancies in technique in particular.
This course will equip healthcare professionals currently involved in DXA examinations with the skills and expertise necessary to:
• Develop their understanding of the operational and technical skills required to produce optimal scan results in addition to providing preliminary reports prior to radiologist approval.
• Critically evaluate their own examination techniques and compare against standard practice to ensure optimal standards of operation.
• Develop a detailed knowledge and understanding of the treatment and care pathways involved for patients diagnosed with osteopenia or osteoporosis.
The course structure has been specifically designed to accommodate both students and employers through use of e-learning and reduced contact hours, thus allowing greater flexibility and autonomous learning to maximise student engagement.