Top

University of Limerick, Graduate School

The University of Limerick is a young, vibrant and enterprising university committed to excellence and relevance in its research and teaching.

Situated on a unique, modern campus that spans both sides of the River Shannon, UL offers outstanding educational, cultural, sporting and residential facilities.

The university has over 10,000 students including 2,000 postgraduate students. Approximately 64% of postgraduate students are registered on taught programmes while the remaining 36% are completing research programmes.

Postgraduate study

The Graduate School at UL co-ordinates the development and delivery of research and taught postgraduate programmes and provides a range of support services for postgraduate students.

Taught Postgraduate Programmes

Over 90 taught postgraduate programmes are offered across four Faculties:

  • Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences
  • Business
  • Education & Health Science
  • Science & Engineering

Taught programmes range from graduate diplomas to professional doctorates. Many are offered on a part-time basis allowing students a greater degree of flexibility in completing their chosen programme.

UL welcomes applications from Irish and international students. A listing of all taught programmes, closing dates for application and information on the application process may be found at: www.graduateschool.ul.ie.

Funding

Details on funding opportunities for postgraduate research students are available from www.graduateschool.ul.ie. This website includes information on general postgraduate scholarships offered by Faculties and funded positions on specific projects.

Research

Graduate Research

Key research areas at the University of Limerick include:

  • Materials & Surface Science: including composite materials, nano materials, solid-state pharmaceutical materials and biomimetic materials (for solar energy conversion and for biocatalysis)
  • Information & Communication Technologies: chiefly software engineering and telecommunications and networks with an emphasis on thermal management and energy efficiency issues
  • BioEngineering & Biosciences: including microfluidics, biomedical engineering and structural biology
  • Energy and Sustainable Environment: with particular emphasis on biomass and biofuels, energy storage and materials, and monitoring, modelling and sustainability
  • Applied Mathematics: with particular emphasis on mathematical modelling of fundamental problems in science, engineering and industry
  • Study of Knowledge in Society: concerning social inequality and cultural diversity with a particular focus on health, technology, citizenship and development

In addition to 36 research centres based across the faculties, UL has four world-class centres of excellence. These multidisciplinary research institutes offer an extensive range of graduate research opportunities.

  • MSSI – Materials & Surface Science Institute www.ul.ie/mssi
  • Lero – The Irish Software Engineering Research Centre www.lero.ie
  • ISKS – Institute for the Study of Knowledge in Society www.ul.ie/isks
  • Stokes Research Institute www.stokes.ie

Excellent facilities and support services are available to research students – including dedicated research space, specialised laboratories, a postgraduate careers service and a wide range of transferable skills workshops.

Applications for research degrees are accepted on an ongoing basis.

Structured PhDs

The Lero Graduate School in Software Engineering (LGSSE), the main education initiative of Lero – the Irish Software Engineering Research Centre, now offers a four-year PhD program. This programme is provided jointly by the four leading Irish Universities involved in Lero (Dublin City University, Trinity College Dublin, University College Dublin and University of Limerick).

The first year includes taught modules in research theory and practice, as well as technical software engineering modules. During the first year students will also prepare a research proposal that will be the basis for a three-year individual research project.

Applications are now being accepted for this program. For further information: http://www.lero.ie/lgsse

Key information

Contact: Admissions Office
Contact email: 
postgradadmissions@ul.ie
Postgraduate students: 
2000