The MA in Ethnomusicology is a one-year full-time taught MA course that considers music in its cultural and social contexts. It engages with the study of Irish Traditional Music, Popular Music, World Music in both practical and academic modes. Course work emphasises the value of fieldwork coupled with a strong theoretical grounding. It supports both continued research and teaching at tertiary and secondary education levels, as well as having application in a variety of other institutional settings.
- To equip postgraduates with a professional qualification in Ethnomusicology;
- To develop a sound theoretical basis for undertaking musical research;
- To provide students with a thorough grounding in the field for teaching purposes;
- To give practical training in musical performance and dance;
- To consider Irish music within a larger geographical framework.