The MA in Ethnomusicology is a one-year, full-time programme which considers music in its cultural context. By applying theoretical concepts developed in the social sciences and by testing these within the context of field research, ethnomusicology provides an alternative approach to the study of Irish traditional music, popular music and world music. This approach embraces anthropology, cultural studies, gender studies, area studies and education, in addition to other relevant areas in musical studies.
- To equip postgraduates with a professional qualification in Ethnomusicology;
- To develop a sound theoretical basis for undertaking musical research;
- To provide students with a thorough grounding in the field for teaching purposes;
- To give practical training in musical performance and dance;
- To consider Irish music within a larger geographical framework.