The overall aim of the programme is to provide registered nurses with the opportunity to enhance previously acquired professional education and develop critical inquiry, knowledge and skills, attributes and competencies in preparation for developing roles within nursing. Successful completion of year 1 (Graduate Diploma) will provide students with the academic qualifications necessary to be considered for Clinical Nurse Specialist posts. Successful completion of year 2 (MSc) will provide students with the academic qualifications to be considered for Advanced Nursing Practice posts. The programme provides opportunities to explore research as evidence for enhancing and changing practice. The programme also provides opportunities for nurses to develop critical thinking and reflective skills at specialist and advanced practice levels. The programme will develop professional qualities and a high level of competence in the promotion of excellence and current best practice in the delivery and appraisal of advancing practice.
On completion of the programme the student will:
• Critically examine best practice in meeting the palliative care needs of patients and their families.
• Critically evaluate philosophical concepts and the evidence underpinning palliative care.
• Demonstrate in-depth knowledge and understanding of therapeutic interventions used in a palliative care context in disease and symptom management.
• Apply critical thinking skills and ethical decision making required for advancing practice.
• Demonstrate proficiency in written, verbal, and digital communication skills at individual and collaborative levels.
• Critically examine the value of multidisciplinary collaboration in the provision of quality evidenced based palliative care.
• Critically review current innovations and developments in leading and managing change in practice.
• Demonstrate an in-depth understanding of the research process.
• Demonstrate a commitment to life-long learning while fostering self-development and self-evaluation.
• Demonstrate responsibility for personal and professional development in advancing palliative care.
• Apply critical thinking and reflective skills in promoting and advancing palliative care practice.
• Appreciate the contribution of research in informing and advancing practice within a palliative care setting.