The overall aim of the programme is to provide registered nurses with the opportunity to enhance previously acquired professional education and develop critical inquiry, knowledge and skills, attributes and competencies in preparation for developing roles within nursing. Successful completion of year 1 (Graduate Diploma) will provide students with the academic qualifications necessary to be considered for Clinical Nurse Specialist posts. Successful completion of year 2 (MSc) will provide students with the academic qualifications to be considered for Advanced Nursing Practice posts. The programme provides opportunities to explore research as evidence for enhancing and changing practice. The programme also provides opportunities for nurses to develop critical thinking and reflective skills at specialist and advanced practice levels. The programme will develop professional qualities and a high level of competence in the promotion of excellence and current best practice in the delivery and appraisal of advancing practice.
On completion of the programme the student will:
• Critically examine best practice in meeting the perioperative care needs of the surgical patient.
• Critically evaluate philosophical concepts and evidence underpinning perioperative care.
• Demonstrate in-depth knowledge and understanding of contemporary nursing skills in the assessment and management of patients in a perioperative environment.
• Apply critical thinking skills and ethical decision making required for advancing practice.
• Demonstrate proficiency in written, verbal, and digital communication skills, at individual and collaborative levels.
• Critically examine the value of multidisciplinary collaboration in the provision of safe and quality evidenced based perioperative care.
• Critically review current innovations and developments in leading and managing change in perioperative practice.
• Demonstrate an in-depth understanding of the research process.
• Demonstrate commitment to life-long learning while fostering self-development and self-evaluation.
• Demonstrate responsibility for personal and professional development in advancing perioperative care.
• Apply critical thinking and reflective skills in promoting and advancing perioperative practice.
• Appreciate the contribution of research in informing and advancing practice within a perioperative setting.