This full-time MA in Modern Language Studies has been designed specifically with the aim of providing students who already have a background in Spanish, French or German at undergraduate level with a comprehensive foundation on the methodologies and critical issues surrounding language studies and the cultural and social contexts of the chosen language. The programme caters for students interested in preparing for doctoral study as well as for those wishing to pursue careers in areas outside academia, such as government, NGOs, and business. The programme places particular emphasis on the acquisition of transferable skills such as language pedagogy, translation studies, and linguistic markets.
- To develop students' understanding of key aspects of the cultural life of German, French and Spanish-speaking countries today.
- To enable students to analyse and interpret German, French or Spanish-language and culture within a broader European context.
- To provide students with the necessary skills to communicate in oral and written German, French or Spanish with a high degree of accuracy and confidence.
- To foster students' ability to conduct independent research in all fields relating to German, French or Spanish languages and cultures
- To equip students with both the linguistic and conceptual skills to operate in an increasingly multi-cultural environment in Ireland and abroad.
- To conceptualise larger research projects (e.g. at PhD level) and to participate in a broader intellectual community of postgraduate research and learning.