The aim of the Master of Arts in Teaching and Learning in Further and Higher Education is to provide continuing professional development for those in teaching roles, in further and higher education. The course will enable you to develop and improve your professional expertise and to reflect on your practice and gain a theoretical and critical perspective on the educational field in which you are engaged.
Learning Outcomes of the Programme
On successful completion of the course, you will be able to:
• Examine the underlying principles of teaching and learning
• Establish perspectives on key issues relating to your own work in teaching and/or supporting students
• Broaden your knowledge of international further and higher education systems and the challenges they face
• Identify student-centred methodologies and appropriate learning styles in relation to learning and retention issues
• Widen your repertoire of teaching methods and enhance your teaching skills
• Consider the role of ICT and new technologies in your subject area
• Evaluate the role of different assessment methods in further and higher education
• Develop your professional competence in specific subject areas
• Share your experiences of learning and teaching with fellow students
• Reflect critically on the educational process as it influences your students
• Develop your knowledge and expertise in the use of appropriate research methods in further and higher education
The MALT is a flexible modular 90-credit programme. A range of elective modules are offered each year, from which you select modules to suit your own development needs or towards completion of the Masters programme.