County Dublin + 1•
In Musgrave, we support thousands of retail and foodservice family businesses. Every day we feed one in three people in Ireland through 11 marketing-leading food and beverage brands that include SuperValu, Centra, Daybreak, Donnybrook Fair, La Rousse Foods, and Musgrave MarketPlace. At Musgrave our values and purpose challenge and inspire us to do the right thing, with a focus on practicing good, fair, and honest business, a commitment to profit with purpose and working relentlessly to innovate and lead the way in our market. We are passionate about food and meeting the changing needs of today’s consumers through our food expertise, focus on commercial viability and deep understanding of the retail/wholesale/foodservice markets.
Our brands are successful because they meet the changing needs of today’s shoppers and are developed in collaboration with outstanding local entrepreneurs based in the communities they serve. Our Buying and Foodservice Specialist sales teams work closely with internal stakeholders in Marketing, Sales, Own Brand Development and Supply Chain in ensuring the right product range is available, delivering competitive promotions to drive sales and innovating to meet the needs of our customers and upcoming trends. They also work with our retail partners, foodservice customers, and suppliers, using customer insights data to provide the best solutions.
We are looking for emerging talent, preferably with a background in food or culinary entrepreneurship discipline, to join our Commercial Food Leadership Programme. This is an innovative 3-year Programme designed around an immersive food retail and foodservice experience in addition to developing the successful candidates’ commercial, negotiating, and influencing skills through our buying and Foodservice specialist sales teams. At the end of the Programme, the graduate will have the skills and knowledge to support the development and End to End implementation of futureproofed, differentiating, market beating strategies in specialised areas.
We have two pathways for the successful candidates: one focused on developing knowledge and skills in our Produce buying teams to become an expert in this category; the other pathway will focus on developing a specialism in meat or produce for our Foodservice specialist sales team. Both pathways will provide the graduate with key experiences in buying, project management, negotiation, product development and will develop the ability to design and deliver compelling shopper / consumer propositions that are operationally efficient, commercially successful, and deliver optimum profitability for Musgrave, our retail partners, and foodservice customers.
This is an excellent opportunity for graduates with a keen interest in the food and beverage retail/wholesale industry and who are results-driven, commercially focused and with a desire to drive business performance.
The scope of the Commercial Food Leadership Graduate role comprises of a three-year experiential development programme. To support your commercial development and business knowledge, you will work in different teams across Cork, Dublin, or Belfast over the course of the Programme. This may include working with specified customers, retailers, or suppliers to develop your knowledge.
Depending on the rotation, activities and responsibilities may vary depending on the relevant market and portfolios.
The key activities across the business include:
- Supporting and learning the management of the portfolio product range, product quality and category plans to ensure that it reflects both market and consumer trends.
- Work with full cross functional teams and with our retail partners in a collaborative manner to improve our ways of working and maximise outcomes
- Engage with key industry stakeholders to understand advances and opportunities in the latest produce trends from packaging to varieties, to new products to sustainability (e.g., Suppliers, Bord Bia, growers, etc.)
- With the support of the Trading Manager, negotiating the total purchase cost of products for Musgrave and our Retail Partners for the relevant portfolios.
- Developing excellent long-term relationships with key stakeholders including suppliers, retail partners and foodservice customers. Retailer/supplier/site visits as required.
- Assess market and competitor trends in your product area and manage the product range to capitalise on/counteract trends.
- Price positioning: assess current pricing and margin performance, review competitor price positioning and look to maximise retailer margins and competitive position within the market.
- Profitability: Learn to design and deliver compelling shopper / consumer propositions that are operationally efficient, commercially successful, and which deliver optimum End to End profitability for Musgrave and our Retail / Foodservice partners.
- Performance Management: Learn to take accountability for the delivery of Sales, Margin, and Income metrics
- Work with TM on Development & implementation of joint business plans with key suppliers
- Managing supplier service levels/Availability
- Develop strong cross functional working relationships with key stakeholders including sales, marketing, operations and finance promoting a strong customer focused offer at all times.
- Support project development and rollout within the category.
- Participation in the Musgrave/Irish Management Institute Graduate Development Programme
Cork, Dublin and/or Belfast
This is a hybrid role with time spent in the office for connecting, collaborating, innovating, and learning, with the flexibility for remote working. Time in the office will vary by team, typically it is 2 days a week with the remainder of the time spent remote working. To support your development, you will be required to rotate across various teams in the business, which may require rotating across business units in Cork, Dublin and Belfast.
Starting salary is €29,000 and increases to €31,500 after 12 months subject to performance with a further increase in Year 3.
23 days per annum
- Award-winning development programme
- Hybrid working
- Home office equipment (desk/chair/IT hardware)
- Digital Doctor service
- Health and Wellbeing programmes
- Confidential Employee Assistance Programme
- Employee discount for Musgrave MarketPlace
- Subsidised canteens on-site
- Free parking
Start date details
This opportunity is for the 2022 Graduate Programme and successful candidates will start on the 29th August 2022.
County Dublin, Belfast