The Graduate Civil Engineers will support the activities of the various units within the Infrastructure Department, namely Functions, Delivery, Advisory and Asset Management. It is intended that the Graduate will rotate through each of the units gaining experience across all aspects of the Department.
The Graduate Engineers will work on multiple projects across all areas of Infrastructure through all stages from concept and detailed design through to construction and handover. Projects will include a new Tunnel below the cross-wind runway, new airfield developments (aprons and taxiways), runway overlays, apron rehabilitation, new aircraft stand development, efficiency and sustainability projects (e.g. Fixed Electrical Ground Power), drainage projects, new Pier developments, cargo developments, environmental and energy projects etc. Additional responsibilities across the various units include the following:
- Assist the design teams with the design of projects, e.g. earthworks, drainage, pavements, utilities, structures etc.
- Assist the design teams in ensuring designs and contract documents completed by 3rd parties are completed in accordance with timelines, quality, and cost objectives
- Review civil design calculations and drawings
- Assist in the development of 3D designs and specifications utilising Revit, Civils 3D etc
- Assist with the writing of specifications and technical reports, conduct site visits and site surveys
- Assist in gaining planning and regulatory approvals
- Become familiar with aviation requirements (ICAO/EASA) and airport directions (D-O Construction Projects) and other statutory requirements.
- Design works that are phased in a manner which minimises operational disruption and that are constructable and cost efficient
- Work with the Programme Controls team to support in scheduling, cost management, risk management and reporting on projects
- Become familiar with Health & Safety requirements and support the team in the preparation of relevant documents such as Preliminary Safety & Health Plans
- Assist the Project Managers in delivering the projects across the various Programmes of work including Airfield &Civils, Piers & Terminals, Airside and North Apron/South Apron Hubs
- Support the project managers on airside risk assessments for airside construction works. Assist the team in ensuring the implementation of agreed measures required to mitigate against risks identified
- Work with stakeholders across the daa business to understand the requirements and constraints on the delivery of projects and then liaise with them during construction
- Assist in the preparation of tender requests for the procurement of external consultants and support the procurement of civil design services and contractor(s)
- Scope and undertake/oversee surveys as necessary, involving third party contractors as appropriate (eg, topographic surveys, ground investigations, condition surveys etc).
- Assist the contracts team in assessing claims, responding to contractor queries etc
- Help to ensure clear coordination with other aspects of the projects (e.g. electrical, mechanical, architectural, structural design)
- Work with the Asset Management in defining briefs and functional requirements for new infrastructure
- Visit sites during construction to inspect the quality of the works as they progress
- Support the Asset Management team in the assessment of assets prior to their handover for operations
- Assist in preparing maintenance schedules for the management of the assets and assist in the planning of logistics to implement the maintenance works
- Support the team in the planning and delivery of key assets
- Assist the Advisory team across a wide range of strategic projects and initiatives including regulatory challenges, strategic planning for new infrastructure, planning and implementation of new sustainability initiatives, planning and implementation of mobility management and transportation initiatives, communications plans etc
Our Graduate Programme closes for applications on Nov 14th. You will hear from us shortly after.
Do You Have What It Takes?
- Minimum Level 8 Bachelor of Engineering (or equivalent) in Civil/Structural/Environmental Engineering
- Motivated, driven, enthusiastic, hard-working
- Have a positive “can do” attitude and be capable of working on a number of projects simultaneously
- Ability to prioritise effectively, meet deadlines and deliver consistent service
- Ability to work in a challenging environment both on their own initiative and as part of a team
- Excellent report writing and ability to produce project feasibility reports.
- Strong organisational, interpersonal and people management skills
- Proven communication skills, sound judgement with an ability to deal with a wide variety of issues to tight timelines.
What We Can Offer You:
- Exciting and Diverse International Career Opportunities
- Competitive starting salary with a Performance Related Bonus
- 2 year Programme offering Personal Development, Mentoring and Coaching
- Cycle To Work and Tax Saver Schemes
- Excellent Pension Scheme - Life Assurance and Income Protection Plan
- Discounted Shopping across our retail outlets
- On-Site Sports Facilities & Health and Wellness initiatives
Preferred Degree Subjects
Civil Engineering and related
Season ticket loan