Your Brighter Future Awaits
We have a number of opportunities starting in 2022 for graduates who want to pursue a career in accounting as an ACA.
Who we are
ESB is Ireland’s foremost energy company. We have been supplying power to industry, communities and individuals for 90 years. Through innovation, expertise and investment, we are leading the way in developing smart and sustainable energy systems to meet the demands of modern life, both at home and overseas, making us a vital part of building a brighter, more sustainable future.
ESB's purpose is to create a Brighter Future for the customers and communities we serve, by leading the transition to reliable, affordable, low-carbon energy. Through our diverse businesses across Ireland, Northern Ireland and Great Britain, we aim to meet the customer energy needs by bringing the best of our capabilities together to deliver innovative and value-driven solutions for a low-carbon world. We are harnessing all our resources for a brighter future, investing in our people and working collaboratively with partners to enhance the lives of our customers, drive economic progress and bring about a more sustainable future.
As a strong, diversified, vertically integrated utility, ESB operates right across the electricity market: from generation, through transmission and distribution to supply. We extract further value at certain points along this chain: supplying gas, using our networks to carry fibre for telecommunications, developing electric vehicle public charging infrastructure and more.
At ESB, we have a strong culture of giving back. Through our Corporate Social Responsibility Fund, Energy For Generations, we allocate over €1m annually to support organisations working in the areas of suicide prevention, homelessness and educational disadvantage. We encourage staff to take part in initiatives such as “Time to Read” scheme for local schools.
Why join us?
On our Accountancy Traineeship you will get an opportunity to experience first-hand how we work and what is the driving force behind it. You will be part of our Finance Operations team and will be supported to do your ACA qualification.
Our Finance Operations team provides a range of finance services across ESB Group. Our traineeship programme offers structured rotations to ensure you gain experience across a number of areas including:
- Core Accounting foundation principles
- Statutory Accounting
- Intercompany Accounting and Internal Controls
- Cost analysis and control
- Financial review, analysis and business commentary
- Aid in the identification and recommendation of improvements to processes/controls
- Develop externally focused financial processes such as billing, client reporting, management reporting, and forecasting
- Set up ESB future financial systems to efficiently support proactive financial management
- Developing Finance best practices using new technologies.
We have developed a bespoke Quantity Surveying Graduate Programme which includes:
- Learning & Development - As well as supporting you through the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Ireland exams with study leave etc., you will also participate in personal development programmes designed to help you grow professional and personally. Central to our programme is your continuous professional development. A bespoke Graduate Training Programme is delivered by the Irish Management Institute focusing on developing key skills such as effective team working, project management skills, presentation skills, commercial skills and leadership development.
- Performance Orientated – On-going one-to-one conversations and management reviews to ensure that you are working towards achieving your professional status and position you for a career in ESB
- Supportive Working Environment – In addition to your immediate support network of Line Manager, Middle Manager, Team Colleagues and Graduates Peers, you will also be assigned a Buddy and a Mentor. The role of a Buddy is to help you settle in during the early days of your employment, while the Mentor supports you over the entire term of the programme to guide you on your career.
- Social Networking – Over the past few years our graduates have been involved in all sorts of Sports and Social activities. Anything from Tag Rugby, Cricket, Soccer and GAA to language classes, team building challenges, charity work and graduate social events. Our clubs, societies and networks are a great way to build your contacts and of course make new connections.
In return you will enjoy our many benefits including a competitive graduate salary and a comprehensive benefits package built on our four pillars of reward, career, community and well-being. More importantly you will have a strong base to build a career in Accountancy. As an Accounting Graduate, you will be primarily based in Dublin.
What we look for?
- You should have (or be working towards) a minimum of 2.1 Honours Degree in Business, Accountancy & Finance or equivalent course where your major was Accountancy
- Cap 1 exemption is desirable
- Strong IT skills, Knowledge of SAP would be an advantage but is not essential.
- You need good communication skills, excellent analytical skills and the ability to learn quickly.
- Be innovative in your approach and able to demonstrate your ability to actively contribute to your team.
Your CV should be no longer than 2 pages and clearly outline the following:
- Title of your Degree, and Masters (if applicable)
- Your results to date
- Your final year subjects
- The title of your Final Year project
- Any relevant work experience
- A contact telephone number (please ensure a voicemail function is activated on your phone)
Preferred Degree Subjects
Business Management and Administrative Studies
Accounting and Finance