ESB Commercial Graduate Development Programme 2022
Your Brighter Future Awaits
We have a number of exciting Commercial Graduate Development opportunities starting in 2022.
Who we are?
ESB is Ireland’s foremost energy company. We have been supplying power to industry, communities and individuals for 90 years. Through innovation, expertise and investment, we are leading the way in developing smart and sustainable energy systems to meet the demands of modern life, both at home and overseas, making us a vital part of building a brighter, more sustainable future.
ESB's purpose is to create a Brighter Future for the customers and communities we serve, by leading the transition to reliable, affordable, low-carbon energy. Through our diverse businesses across Ireland, Northern Ireland and Great Britain, we aim to meet the customer energy needs by bringing the best of our capabilities together to deliver innovative and value-driven solutions for a low-carbon world. We are harnessing all our resources for a brighter future, investing in our people and working collaboratively with partners to enhance the lives of our customers, drive economic progress and bring about a more sustainable future.
As a strong, diversified, vertically integrated utility, ESB operates right across the electricity market: from generation, through transmission and distribution to supply. We extract further value at certain points along this chain: supplying gas, using our networks to carry fibre for telecommunications, developing electric vehicle public charging infrastructure and more.
At ESB, we have a strong culture of giving back. Through our Corporate Social Responsibility Fund, Energy For Generations, we allocate over €1m annually to support organisations working in the areas of suicide prevention, homelessness and educational disadvantage. We encourage staff to take part in initiatives such as “Time to Read” scheme for local schools.
Why join us?
Our Commercial Graduate Development Programme will focus on developing your ability to problem solve, think critically, understand the balance between value and risk and will build your decision-making capability. The programme also develops effective communication and influencing skills, the building blocks of effective negotiation – critical to succeeding as a commercial business leader.
At ESB, the opportunities and the experience for Commercial graduates are both diverse and exciting. Can you imagine yourself developing the products that attract and retain customers, enabling ESB to maintain and grow market share in a highly competitive market place? How about sitting across the table negotiating a multi-million Euro contract with multi-national suppliers? Could you convince policy and decision makers that your proposal is sustainable and is in the best interest of the taxpayer? Our graduate development programme will help you to build these skills and start your Commercial career in a dynamic and innovative workplace.
Our bespoke Commercial Graduate Development Programme includes:
- Structured Rotations – Our graduate programme is typically structured into rotations where you will build your business knowledge through challenging assignments, exposure to our business units and a diverse range of business activities, and the opportunity to work on one of our major projects.
- Learning & Development – Central to our programme is your continuous professional development. A bespoke Graduate Training Programme is delivered by the Irish Management Institute focusing on developing key skills such as effective team working, project management skills, presentation skills, commercial skills and leadership development. Graduates also receive on the job learning and work shadowing which is complemented with personal development programmes and supports designed to help you grow professionally and personally.
- Performance Orientated – At the start of each of your rotations, you will agree with your line manager the goals of the assignment and put in place the steps to help achieve them. Ongoing one-to-one conversations and management reviews will ensure that you are constantly working towards achieving your professional status and position you for a career with ESB.
- Supportive Working Environment – In addition to your immediate support network of Line Manager, Middle Manager, Team Colleagues and Graduate Peers, you will also be assigned a Buddy and a Mentor. The role of the Buddy is to help you settle in during the early days of your employment, while the Mentor supports you over the entire term of the programme to guide you on your career and provide advice on your rotations.
- Social Networking – Over the last few years our graduates have been involved in all sorts of Sports and Social activities. Anything from Tag Rugby, Cricket, Soccer and GAA, to language classes, team building challenges, charity work and graduate social events. Our clubs, societies and networks are a great way to build your contacts and of course make new connections.
In return you will enjoy our many benefits including a competitive graduate salary and a comprehensive benefits package built on the four pillars of reward, career, community and wellbeing.
Most importantly you will have a strong base to build your career with ESB as a Commercial Professional.
So, if you are looking to develop your Commercial career in a large, successful Irish company employing over 7,000 people and supplying 1.4m customers, then ESB’s Commercial Graduate Development Programme is the place for you.
As a Commercial Graduate, you will be primarily based in ESB’s Head Office, Dublin 3, but depending on your assignment you may also be based at one of our other offices in Dublin 2 or Dublin 9 for a period of time.
What We Look For?
- You should have (or be working towards) a minimum 2.1 Honours Business Degree or equivalent
- Good communication skills, excellent analytical skills and the ability to learn quickly
- Be innovative in your approach and able to demonstrate your ability to actively contribute to your team
Your CV should be no longer than 2 pages and clearly outline the following:
- Title of your Degree, and Masters (if applicable)
- Your results to date
- Your final year subjects
- The title of your Final Year project
- Any relevant work experience
- A contact telephone number (please ensure a voicemail function is activated on your phone)