ESB Engineering Graduate Development Programme 2022
Your Brighter Future Awaits
We have several exciting Engineering Graduate Development opportunities starting in 2022 for graduates from a number of Engineering disciplines including: Electrical, Mechanical, Civil, Environmental, Renewable Energy, Energy Systems, Electronic, Electronic & Computer, Mechatronic, and Quantity Surveying.
Who we are:
ESB is Ireland’s foremost energy company. We have been supplying power to industry, communities and individuals for 90 years. Through innovation, expertise and investment, we are leading the way in developing smart and sustainable energy systems to meet the demands of modern life, both at home and overseas, making us a vital part of building a brighter, more sustainable future.
ESB's purpose is to create a Brighter Future for the customers and communities we serve, by leading the transition to reliable, affordable, low-carbon energy. Through our diverse businesses across Ireland, Northern Ireland and Great Britain, we aim to meet the customer energy needs by bringing the best of our capabilities together to deliver innovative and value-driven solutions for a low-carbon world. We are harnessing all our resources for a brighter future, investing in our people and working collaboratively with partners to enhance the lives of our customers, drive economic progress and bring about a more sustainable future.
As a strong, diversified, vertically integrated utility, ESB operates right across the electricity market: from generation, through transmission and distribution to supply. We extract further value at certain points along this chain: supplying gas, using our networks to carry fibre for telecommunications, developing electric vehicle public charging infrastructure and more.
At ESB, we have a strong culture of giving back. Through our Corporate Social Responsibility Fund, Energy For Generations, we allocate over €1m annually to support organisations working in the areas of suicide prevention, homelessness and educational disadvantage. We encourage staff to take part in initiatives such as “Time to Read” scheme for local schools.
Why join us?
As one of the largest employers of engineers in Ireland, ESB is dedicated to investing in engineering expertise and developing critical skills to support Ireland’s future growth and development. We are working to create a brighter energy future that enables progress, growth and possibility for the next generation.
As an Engineering Graduate you will have the opportunity to work on a variety of exciting projects, both in Ireland and overseas, while pursuing your professional development.
Our Engineering Graduate Development Programme
The objective of our Programme is to launch you on a fast track to career success. By joining ESB’s Engineering Graduate Development Programme, you will be part of a highly motivated and skilled team where you will have the opportunity to deliver results in a fast-paced, innovative team environment. Our Engineering Graduate Development Programme is a structured programme where you will be able to grow professionally, as well as develop the necessary skills to help you on your way to career success as a Professional Engineer while at the same time helping to deliver ESB’s strategic objectives.
Working with us, you will be part of an award-winning team in a culture that thrives on teamwork and innovation.
We have developed a bespoke Engineering Graduate Development Programme which includes:
- Structured Rotations – Our Engineering graduate programme is typically structured into two rotations where you will build your Engineering and business knowledge through challenging assignments, exposure to our business units and diverse range of business activities, and the opportunity to work on one of our major projects.
- Learning & Development – Central to our programme is your learning and development. Structured training modules, on-the-job learning and work-shadowing are complemented with personal development programmes and supports designed to help you grow professionally and personally.
- Performance Orientated – At the start of each of your rotations, you will agree with your line manager the Objectives & Key Results (OKR’s) of the assignment and put in place the steps to help achieve them. Ongoing one-to-one conversations and management reviews will ensure that you are constantly working towards achieving your professional status and position you for a career with ESB.
- Supportive Working Environment – In addition to your immediate support network of Line Manager, Middle Manager, team colleagues and graduate peers, you will also be assigned a Mentor. The role of the Mentor is to support you during the programme to guide you on delivering your goals, developing contacts in the business, helping give you a general appreciation of the Engineering business model across ESB.
- Social Networking – Whichever part of the business you work in, we want you to succeed and at the same time enjoy being part of our community. Over the last few years our graduates have been involved in all sorts of Sports and Social activities. Anything from Tag Rugby, Cricket, Soccer and GAA, to language classes, team building challenges, charity work and graduate social events. Our clubs, societies and networks are a great way to build your contacts and of course make new connections.
In return you will enjoy our many benefits including a competitive graduate salary and a comprehensive benefits package built on the four pillars of reward, career, community and wellbeing. Most importantly you will have a strong base to build your engineering career with ESB as a Professional Engineer.
What We Look For?
- You should have (or be working towards) a minimum 2.1 Honours Degree in Engineering
- Proven ability to deliver results in a fast-paced team environment.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent analytical skills combined with the ability to learn quickly
- Flexibility regarding work location, in order to develop you to the highest standard you will need variety in your placements, this may mean changing work location
- Graduates who are up for a Challenge!
Your CV should be no longer than 2 pages and clearly outline the following:
- Title of your Degree, and Masters (if applicable)
- Your results to date
- Your final year subjects
- The title of your Final Year project
- Any relevant work experience
- A contact telephone number (please ensure a voicemail function is activated on your phone)
- Email address to reach you on
Preferred Degree Subjects
Mechanical Engineering and related
Electrical Engineering and related
Civil Engineering and related