Application of Simulation Practice in Healthcare - Micro-Credential
Why should I take this MC?
• This micro-credential will be relevant to any healthcare professional in education, wishing to develop competency and expand their knowledge in the application of simulation. This cohort includes doctors; nurses; paramedics and other allied healthcare professionals who require this module to allow for the expansion of their practice in skill and problem-based education.
• 10 ECTS credits, NFQ Level 9, 250 student Learning hours
• Category 1 NMBI Course Accredited (35 CEU points awarded)
• Simulation in healthcare can promote patient safety by teaching the range of clinical as well as the non-behavioural skills required in the healthcare setting. Clinical Skills, problem-solving and collaboration within a multi-disciplinary team can be simulated with a spectrum of fidelity mannikins and taught within a safe dedicated space, for example, the simulation suite in the Trinity Centre (TSS)
• The skills of running a successful simulation scenario will promote patient safety by the participants learning the skills to understand how to implement successful simulation sessions from an educational perspective. Simulation can also address quality issues by running scenarios that identify system and human factors issues allowing for improving workflows in the healthcare setting.
What will I learn?
You will learn to:
• Apply the education strategies required for simulation practice.
• Develop scenarios specific to the clinical healthcare setting
• Apply these scenarios utilising a range of fidelity patient simulator.
• Identify and apply the IT infrastructure and platforms to manage a simulation session.
• Manage a simulation session and measure the necessary outcomes of their planned session
What will I do?
• You will participate in lectures and discussions. Blended learning approach will be adopted to facilitate flexibility for the participants
• You will learn about strategies to design a simulation session
• You will design a simulation scenario based on your healthcare setting. This scenario will be implemented in simulation software and the developed scenario will run in a live simulation session that will be peer reviewed.
• You will learn about advancements in simulation.
• You will be expected to implement evaluation and feedback mechanisms that can be utilised in your healthcare setting.
How is this MC delivered?
• Blended learning approach:
• Direct Contact: In-person tutorials and problem-based learning in the simulation suite in TCJ as well as online classes using Blackboard Collaborate platform.
• Directed Learning, Project work and Self-directed Learning
• 3 In-person days will be expected during the 12-week period (These days will be set out on commencement of course)
• Additional Online lectures including guest lectures from subject experts will be available for students to access live or as pre-recorded sessions.
• Online resources for directed learning will be available to students to facilitate flexibility for the learner and increase access
• Participants need to have access to a Window's Based Laptop for simulation software application. The laptop needs to be able to run the latest Laerdal Lleap Software (this is version 8.1.0 at the time of writing). Software will be provided.
• Evidence of previous healthcare experience for minimum of 3 years.
• Professional Reference and Curriculum Vitae
Closing Date: 14th December 2022