The programme offers a professional development opportunity for language professionals including:
- Teachers in the fields of ELT and TESOL.
- Language teachers
- Primary school teachers
- ELT materials editors, course developers and sales teams
The aims of the MA in Applied Linguistics are to:
- Enhance the professional knowledge of Language Teachers and language professionals by focusing on the core features of language (grammar, lexis and phonology)
- Develop participants' ability to utilise theoretical frameworks for the analysis of discourse to enhance their ability to address specific language-related real-world problems concerning the learning, use, teaching and assessment of language
- Provide a broad understanding of the key issues and debates in language teaching and learning
- Develop specialist skills in the empirical analysis of language in context using corpus linguistics
Core Features of Language: Grammar, Vocabulary and Phonology
Research Methods in Applied Linguistics
Academic Writing: Lexicogrammar and Discourse
Plus one elective module* from this list:
Introduction to Sociolinguistics
Second Language Acquisition
Introduction to Irish English
Approaches to Language in Context
Issues in Applied Linguistics
Plus one elective module* from this list:
Corpus Linguistics and Language Teaching
Phonetics and Phonology
Discourse and Pragmatics
* Electives will be offered on the basis of their being an adequate level of student uptake.
Dissertation (20,000 words)
- A 2.2 honours primary degree, plus two years' experience in Language Teaching, publishing or translation, or related fields.
- Relevant prior experience in Language Teaching, publishing or translation, or related fields considered on a case-by-case basis.
- English Language Requirements
Applicants for whom English is not a first language must provide evidence of their proficiency level English in the form of an IELTS (International English Language Testing System) composite score of 6.5 – 7.0 with no less than 6.0 in any one component, or IELTS equivalent accepted by UL. Such applicants will also be required to undergo an interview through English.
How to Apply
Applications for September 2023 entry are now open.
Closing date for receipt of completed applications for September 2023 intake is 25th August 2023.
Complete all the steps below:
1. Download and complete the application form from the website.
2. You will be required to send your university transcripts (and applicants may be required to name one or more referees on request).
3. In the case of non-native English speakers, a copy of IELTS (or equivalent) is required.
4. Please pay the non-refundable €50 application fee using Stripe, and return the completed application form by email to TaughtProgrammes@mic.ul.ie and Joan.OSullivan@mic.ul.ie.
You are advised to contact the MIC International Office before applying:
E: International@mic.ul.ie or T: +353 61 204988 /+353 61 774790
- Entry requirements and the application process vary according to country of origin. For information that is specific to your home country, please visit our website.
- Please complete your application through PAC. You will be required to upload your university transcripts.
- In the case of non-native English speakers, a copy of IELTS is also required.
The application fee is €50 and is non-refundable.
Transferring from another 3rd Level Institution:
The transfer route into MIC depends on the content overlap of your new and old course and the number of places on the new course in the year you apply. Before submitting an application you should contact International@mic.ul.ie where we will consider your case with the relevant Head of Department of the course you wish to transfer to.
EU/Non-EU Status Assessments
The designation of a student as being from the EU or a Non-EU country determines the fees they will pay at Mary Immaculate College (MIC) i.e. there may be cases where a non-EU national acquires EEA citizenship during the course of their third level studies and would qualify for EU fees, for example.
12-16 months. Full-time/Part-time: Both available.
Delivery Mode: Fully online/Blended/Face to Face.