Applied Marine Conservation
This one year MSc degree focuses on core and specialist competences in key themes of fisheries, marine conservation; sustainability and ecosystem based management.
- Teaching by research-active staff working in the field of applied marine conservation with particular interest in fisheries, marine mammals and seabirds.
- An applied degree with fieldwork, practicals and 100% continuous assessment.
- A major research thesis, in collaboration with a supervisor from ATU Galway and a supervisor from an external organisation.
Data Analysis using R and RStudio 5 credits
Applied Geographic Information Systems 5 credits
Seabird and marine mammal population assessment techniques 5 credits
Life history strategies and trade-offs 5 credits
Secondary Impacts of Harvest on Wild Populations & Ecosystems 5 credits
Ecology of top predators in marine systems 5 credits
Research Thesis 60 credits
The minimum requirement is a 2.2 in a cognate Honours Degree, e.g. Zoology, Ecology, Marine Biology, Wildlife Management, Conservation Biology.
Non EU, non-native English speakers, must have a score of 6.0 in IELTS or equivalent.
Details on how to apply for Postgraduate Courses at ATU
Applications for programmes commencing in September 2023 are NOW OPEN.
Click on "Application Weblink" below.
If you have any queries or need any assistance applying for a postgraduate course please contact our Graduate Studies and Professional Development (GSPD) team who will guide you through the process.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org and reference the course you're interested in applying for in your message.
Are you an international student? Please contact the International Office for more information:
Tel: +353 (0)91 74 2149/2211
1 year full-time. On campus.
Post Course Info
Graduates will be well prepared for careers in applied marine conservation or may continue to PhD research.
Potential employers may include:
• Ecological Consultancies
• Non-Governmental Organisations and Charities
• Research Institutes / Agencies
• Self employment