Art & Design with Digital Media - PME - Clare Street
Professional Master of Education in Art and Design with Digital Media (PME)
The programme enables students to become teachers of visual art in second level schools and other educational settings. Student teachers will acquire advanced professional knowledge and skills associated with research-informed teaching incorporating creative/academic study, research inquiry, professional discipline in work settings and a foundation for continuous professional development.
The programme builds on the growing importance of digital media and social networking platforms that are progressively more available to everyone, but especially to young people. The special attention given to art and design digital media and pedagogies reflects both the increasing importance of teachers having the knowledge and skills to use contemporary digital media confidently in different personal and professional contexts, but especially in their classroom teaching, and the particular knowledge and skill set of art and design graduates who are increasingly adapt in the use of digital media in their art and design practice and for online networking. The programme uses online dialogue within a community of practice for student teachers to search, share and construct knowledge, and for them to support each other while on school placements.
School placement involves two periods of block teaching with the advantage of student teachers having real opportunities to immerse themselves into the life of art and design departments and schools. Student teachers are placed in two different schools where they gain experience of teaching in different types of schools and in different social environments.
What modules will I study?
Professional Master of Education
• Art and Design Pedagogies 1 - Credits: 05 Credits
• Art and Design Curriculum and Creative Practice 1 - Credits: 05 Credits
• Understanding Learning - Credits: 05 Credits
• ICT in Education: Creative Digital Media Practice and Pedagogy - Credits: 05 Credits
• Art and Design Education: Schools and Society - Credits: 05 Credits
• Art and Design Curriculum and Creative Practice 2 - Credits: 05 Credits
• Art and Design Pedagogies 2 - Credits: 05 Credits
• Orientation to the Profession: artist/teacher identity - Credits: 05 Credits
• School Placement 1 - Credits: 20 Credits
• Art and Design Research Methods and Practice - Credits: 05 Credits
• Art and Design Pedagogies 3 - Credits: 05 Credits
• School Placement 2 - Credits: 25 Credits
• Curriculum Policy and Reform - Credits: 05 Credits
• History, Policy and Contemporary Issues in Education - Credits: 05 Credits
• Research Report and Exhibition - Credits: 10 Credits
• Professional Practice and Portfolio - Credits: 05 Credits
What are the entry requirements?
The minimum entry requirement for this programme is a Bachelor Degree in Fine Art or Design (Level 8) 2nd Class Honours or an equivalent qualification.
Non-EU applicants should apply directly to the International Office at LIT allowing plenty of time for completing the visa process. Applications for September start should be made by July 1st at the latest.
School placement is a mandatory component of this course. Applicants must obtain Garda Vetting before they embark on their placements - please be advised that a criminal conviction may be a challenge to securing work placements.
Applications open for 2023
Post Course Info
What are the career prospects?
Visual Art Teacher across a number of educational sectors including:
• Second level Schools
• Colleges of Further Education
• Arts and Health
• Arts and the Community
• Gallery/ Museum education
The teaching qualification is recognised internationally and provides career opportunities overseas.