Bioeconomy with Business - Kerry

About the Course
The Postgraduate Diploma in Bioeconomy with Business is a flexible, one-year part-time, blended programme designed to enable upskilling of those in the workplace and those seeking to engage in further study. The bioeconomy is one of the EU’s largest and most important sectors encompassing agriculture, forestry, fisheries, food, bio-energy and bio-based products with an annual turnover of circa €2 trillion, employing around 18 million people, creating €621 billion benefits and 4.2% of the EU’s GDP. The bio-based industries have the potential to generate 1 million innovative jobs across the EU by 2030.

This level 9 programme is positioned at the interface of primary production, sustainable processing, biotechnology, new product development, supply chain dynamics, innovation, business and policy. Co-developed by an interdisciplinary team from MTU, UCD and Teagasc, students will gain a deep and critical understanding of the theories, concepts and frameworks of the bioeconomy from technological, environmental, social and business perspectives. A suite of innovative pedagogies (peer-to-peer learning, place-based learning, action learning, professional and work-based learning, site visits and case studies) will be applied across the curriculum. This approach will equip graduates with the skills and competencies to exchange and apply learnings (bioeconomy in practice) within the workplace, be that public or private sectors, SMEs or large organisations.

Subjects taught

Bioeconomy Model for the Transition to a Low Carbon Economy
Bioeconomy Feedstocks
Life Cycle Assessment
Conventional Valorisation Technologies
Biorefinery Processes and Technologies
Bio based Value Chains, Products, Processes and Markets
Green Technologies Project
Policy and Social Aspects of the Bioeconomy
Knowledge, Innovation and Industry
Work-based Learning-Bioeconomy Improvement Opportunity

Entry requirements

Applicants must hold a minimum NFQ level 8 degree (minimum level 2nd class honours) in science, agricultural science, business management, engineering or other relevant area. Ideally applicants will possess relevant experience in one of the following areas: manufacturing; research and development; laboratory; quality; supply chain; procurement; engineering policy; funding or sales and marketing in one or more of the following sectors: agricultural; food & beverage; life science; chemical; packaging; construction and policy. The University’s policy in relation to recognition of prior learning (RPL) also applies.




1 year part-time. Blended learning.


Fees do not apply to applicants who meet the criteria under the Springboard+ initiative (see below).

Fee paying applicants, €5,505 however, for employed applicants the HEA will pay 90% of the programme fee, the remaining 10% will be collected before registration.

Post Course Info

On successful completion of the programme students will have gained 60 credits at NFQ level 9 and may have the option to progress to the MSc in Bioeconomy with Business.

More details
  • Qualification letters


  • Qualifications

    Postgraduate Diploma (Level 9 NFQ)

  • Attendance type

    Part time,Blended

  • Apply to

    Course provider