3 GOOD REASONS TO STUDY THIS COURSE
1. Choice of industrial or research focussed streams.
2. Five-month laboratory project providing the opportunity to build research and development expertise while being a member of a scientific research team.
3. Winner of national Postgraduate Science Course of the Year Award 2016 and 2017.
• MSc Biotechnology five-month research project;
• Frontiers in Biotechnology: tutorials introducing transferable skills and recent advances in biotechnology;
• Introduction to Business: concepts in marketing, management and accountancy including student development of a biotechnology business plan;
• Fundamental Concepts in Pharmacology: understanding the dynamics and kinetics of drug interactions in the body;
• Protein Technology: includes industrial scale-up of protein production, proteomics and glycobiology;
• Diagnostic Biotechnology: a comprehensive overview of immunological and molecular diagnostics.
Optional modules (choose three): Advanced and Applied Immunology; Advanced Industrial Processes; Applied Concepts in Pharmacology; Introduction to Molecular and Cellular Biology; Scientific Writing; and Quality Management Systems.
Minimum Entry Requirements
Candidates must hold at least a Second Class Honours, Level 8 (or equivalent international qualification) primary degree in science or a related subject, with a strong background in biological sciences. For applicants whose native language is not English, an IELTS score of at least 6.5 is required, with not less than 6.0 in any one component. Selection is based on academic record, previous relevant experience and a personal statement. Candidates may be invited for interview.
CLOSING DATE: 4th May 2023
12 months, full-time.
Post Course Info
A wide range of career options exist for graduates, e.g., employment in pharmaceutical industries, diagnostic services and academic research. Furthermore, this programme is a springboard to PhD research opportunities. Recent graduates have found employment with Abbott, Allergan, ICON Clinical Research, Norbrook Laboratoriea, Pfizer, Regeneron and Takeda. They are pursuing careers in manufacturing, quality assurance, product development and research, and in the broader sectors of sales, marketing, and regulatory affairs.