Business Administration - MBA - Finance Stream
Master of Business Administration (MBA) Finance.
The MBA (Finance) awarded by QQI, provides theoretical and practical models and perspectives, which will provide a basis for analysing financial information and for applying the analysis in making informed financial decisions. The decision making aspect is developed in Corporate Financial Management and the complexities and dynamics of international financial markets are explored in the Global Financial Markets. The MBA (Finance) graduate will perform data analysis and advise senior managers on profit maximising strategies. Financial management and an awareness of financial markets is key to the sustainability and growth of an organisation who must, on an ongoing basis, consider the potential consequences of management decisions on profits, cash flow on the financial condition of the company.
Aims of the Programme
Graduates will be able to critically evaluate theory and practice of corporate financial management for strategic business decision-making. They will also be able to demonstrate critical awareness of international practices and policies in financial markets within changing global market dynamics.
Key Features of the Programme
This unique programme allows you to study the pure MBA, or choose a specialist route for your MBA award within the following programmes: HRM; Project Management; Finance; Information Systems; Cloud Computing or Marketing. This ensures students are afforded the widest choice of specialisms from which to choose. A practitioner focus is part of this programme, and industry-led workshops and guest lecturers keep information current and applied.
This MBA includes:
• Personal, academic and professional development.
• Lectures and assessment methods that apply the business knowledge required for students to perform as an effective manager in any organisation.
• Through, extensive study of key issues in business theories students will be capable of evaluation and application of important global management issues which impact on organisational effectiveness and performance.
• Knowledge and understanding of global business, most especially on issues such as globalisation, standardisation and customisation of products and services.
• Skills and knowledge to inform you how an organisation is best managed in a changing world.
With these in mind, the programme is designed to provide you with relevant knowledge, so that you are familiar with the latest theoretical and practical developments relating to business management and development.
The MBA degree programme consists of two stages. Stage 1 is a wholly taught component, contributing 60 credits.
Stage 1 is a wholly taught component contributing 60 credits. These modules are delivered over two semesters.
For part-time students, delivery of the programme is structured over 4 taught semesters. During each semester, students are typically required to attend lectures on two evenings per week and occasional weekend workshops. You will undertake a course in research methods in order to prepare for the dissertation stage and to further develop important research skills. Successful completion of the taught component stage allows you to move onto the dissertation stage.
Stage 2 is a supervised dissertation, contributing 30 credits. The dissertation provides you with the opportunity to critically review the literature in any part of the taught syllabus and within your specialist area.
The minimum entry requirements for the Master of Business Administration are:
• Level 8 primary undergraduate honours bachelor degree with a minimum Second Class Second Division classification (2.2) from a recognised third level institution in any discipline from a recognised third level institution (or equivalent); or
• An equivalent professional qualification such as ACCA or CIMA.
• For applicants whose first language is not English and who have not previously undertaken a degree taught through English, evidence must be provided of proficiency in English language equivalent to B2+ or above on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFRL). This must be evidenced through a recognised English Language test such as IELTS, Cambridge Certificate, PTE or DBS English Assessment. Test certificates should be dated within the last two years to be considered valid.
• GMAT examination is a mandatory requirement for all applicants who do not hold an Honours Bachelor Degree (Level 8) with a minimum of second class second division classification.
The programme is aimed at learners who wish to specialise in business administration with a view to entering industry in a high-level managerial role, to progress professionally or to undertake further business studies. Learners will achieve the business expertise to lead an organisation to strategic decision making ensuring a maximum return on investment across each department. Learners will be capable of dealing with diverse intrinsic and extrinsic business realities in a creative manner to ensure sustainability and growth.
Applicants who do not have a Level 8 qualification at a 2.2 award level and who have at least 3 years' work experience may also be considered through the college's normal RPL procedures. Relevant professional experience may be taken into account and individuals will be assessed on a case-by-case basis through DBS RPL procedures.
Continuous assessment is an integral part of many of our taught modules. The weightings attaching to coursework and other forms of continuous assessment vary from module to module to facilitate all learning styles. You will experience a variety of teaching and learning assessment methods including lectures, seminars, tutorials, case studies, group and individual projects, examinations and reports.
The Master of Business Administration (MBA) programme has the following content in stages 1 & 2:
• Global Issues for Management
• Strategic Marketing Analysis
• Managerial Financial Analysis
• Research Methods 1
• Corporate Financial Management
• Applied Strategic Management
• Dynamic Leadership Development
• Research Methods 2
• Global Financial Markets
Full-time: 1 year
Part-time: 2 years
Post Course Info
Upon completing the programme, graduates will have attained a critical awareness of business opportunities and challenges capable of devising appropriate strategies for ongoing professional development as well as a keen awareness of the requirements which ensure the sustainability and growth of the organisation. The programme is fundamentally rooted in creating an accomplished business postgraduate whose insights will inform strategic business decisions, from financial to people management, designed to increase productivity, profitability and an organisation's value and market share.
Graduates will have the business skills necessary to move into senior management roles and pursue a leadership career path. Graduates will acquire skills and competencies in dynamic leadership development and business acumen as well as business expertise and learn how to effectively integrate strategic decision-making in their organisation. The programme invites learners to critically appraise the impact of internationalisation and diversity on economic activities and aims to unpack complex theories and practices ensuring a self-reflective practice where learners consider social norms and a socially responsible approach to business administration. The programme captures the unpredictability and diversity of the business world and simulates this diversity, enabling learners to devise approaches both individually and as part of a team.
Overarchingly, the programme aims and objectives create a critical understanding of core business functions as well as strategic business management, while also enhancing the innovative capability and practical, transversal and practical skills of the learners, ensuring the success of graduates in the business environment.