Clinical & Translational Research
- Equips participants with the knowledge, skills and competencies to allow them to complete programmes of clinical investigation and translational research.
- Develops core research competencies and clinical and translational research principles.
- Instructs students in the principles and practice of clinical trials, the development of novel technologies, and critical appraisal skills.
- Affords participants the opportunity to spend time with the research teams in the UCD Clinical Research Centre to observe clinical trials in action. (A 30 credit research project is included in year 2 of the programme).
- Includes input from industry partners and opportunities for industry interaction. Here you will gain an understanding of clinical research in companies from the pharmaceutical, biotechnology and clinical research industry.
- Positions graduates to progress with a research career
- Based at the UCD Clinical Research Centre
A comprehensive programme of hands on practical experience is a core element of the course, complementing online and classroom based learning. Student assessment is focused on evaluating practical as well as theoretical skills and knowledge. This unique learning environment exposes students to high quality clinical research.
How will I learn
The majority of teaching will take place on the UCD campus, some teaching will take place at the UCD Clinical Research Centre, Ireland's leading centre for patient focused clinical and translational research, situated at St Vincent's and Mater Misericordiae University Hospitals. You will undertake modules that will give you important skills in research, which you can use to develop your own research activities.
To complete the UCD MSc in Clinical & Translational Research you will:
- Earn 90 ECTS credits
- Successfully pass all assessments and examinations
- Complete a research project and thesis
Throughout the programme you will gain significant practical experience and real world understanding of clinical research in action. This includes:
- You will develop a clinical trial protocol and gain experience in critically appraising clinical research.
- You will build a database for a clinical trial
- You will be trained in data analysis using SPSS
- You will complete an internship at the UCD Clinical Research Centre
- You will complete sample processing and analysis laboratory practicals
You will complete modules in:
- Laboratory Medicine
- Clinical Trials
- Clinical & Translational Research
- Data Management & Biostatistics
- Clinical Protocol development
- Clinical Trial Management
Am I eligible for this course?
Applicants must possess a Level 8 degree or equivalent in any relevant discipline
Applicants will be assessed for entry to the programme based on undergraduate performance and final degree award
Applicants may be asked to participate in an Interview
Subject to availability, consideration will be given to graduates of non- science degrees who have subsequent postgraduate experience
Click on the www.ucd.ie/apply link and follow the steps outlined
The "Application Type" is Graduate Taught Courses, and "Admission Term" is Sept - Enter Appropriate year.
Fill in your personal details, and when asked about the "Programme Choice", select Masters in Clinical & Translational Research X789. The corresponding fee will be applied
Next, enter details of any third level institutions you have attended and professional qualifications you have attained in the "Academic Background" section
Having paid the application fee and received an e-mail receipt, you must continue to complete the application process by pressing "submit". An e-mail confirming successful application will be sent to you within 24 hours. A detailed, step-by step guide to the online application process is available here
You can track the status of your documentation online. Log in to your account & click on your submitted application. This will bring up an application summary. The application requirements are listed at the end of the summary
If you have any problems or queries with the online application process, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone: + 353 1 716 1476
X789 1 year full-time
X427 2 years part-time