The Higher Diploma in Data Analytics is a one-year (60 credit) Higher Diploma programme that is awarded at Level 8 on the National Framework of Qualifications
This Higher Diploma delivers essential knowledge and skills in modules related to Data Analysis for learners who wish to become experts in this high-demand, fast moving technology area. The programme aims to develop learners’ knowledge of both the theory and practice of Data Analytics necessary for them to gain professional employment and succeed as graduate-level practitioners in a broad range of environments. Learners will build upon fundamental theoretical knowledge, so that they can apply advanced analytics skills to modelling, statistics, programming, machine learning, and advanced visualisation of data sets through the use of a variety of tools and techniques, in order to generate actionable insights for stakeholders and support strategic decision making.
The objectives of the programme are to:
• Support learners to develop the Data Analysis skills necessary to develop a career in this area;
• Develop the learner’s ability to investigate, critique, evaluate and analyse theories, concepts, techniques and models to identify and implement solutions to data related problems;
• Enhance the learner’s knowledge of the interrelationships and inter dependences of the various data functions;
• Provide a learning environment that encourages and supports education at a Higher Diploma in Science level;
• Provide learners with the opportunity to progress to further education at Level 9 or seek exemptions from one of the professional bodies (e.g the analytics institute of Ireland);
• Broaden the learner’s knowledge of Data Analytics so that they may be in a position to generate new knowledge and methodologies with their advanced skillset;
• Provide learners with an environment that develops and supports time management, advanced reflection, data management skills that are necessary in the workplace.
Why Study This Programme?
Data is the lifeblood of many industries and understanding how to process, analyse and visualise that data is a skill much sought after by employers. The Diploma in Data Analytics is aimed at people who want to learn these skills and advance their career prospects. It’s also great if you work with data and want to boost your knowledge of analytics tools and processes to improve your overall productivity.
Holders of hold a Primary Honours Degree (level 8) in a non cognate discipline from a recognised third level institution or equivalent qualification.
• Fundamentals of Data Analytics
• Programming in Python
• Statistics for Data Analysis
• Data Mining
• Data Management
• Business Intelligence & Data warehousing
• Modelling for Data Analytics
• Big Data
• Applied Machine Learning
• Data Visualisation
To be considered for admission to this programme, applicants must hold a Primary Honours Degree (level 8) in a non cognate discipline from a recognised third level institution or equivalent qualification.
Candidates will ideally be able to demonstrate technical or mathematical problem solving skills as part of previous programme learning. Typically holders of more technical, numerate degrees are likely to gain a higher ranking in any order of merit in selection for the programme.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
Learners may also access this course on the basis of recognition of prior learning or by assessment of prior experiential learning/informal learning. The process is implemented within the relevant school, by the relevant Head of School/Department or nominee and is overseen by the Registrar. For this particular programme applicants will be considered on a case-by-case basis based on their educational record, work experience, their ability to demonstrate technical or mathematical problem solving skills and a capacity to successfully participate in the programme.
For applicants whose first language is not English, a B2+ in CEFRL (IELTS Academic score of 6.0, or equivalent), is needed.
How to Apply
Candidates wishing to apply should complete the following online application form (see Application Date Weblink below).
Once the application is submitted a member of the Admissions team will be in contact with you within 1-3 working days to advise you on the next steps to enrolment.
Timetable: Typically, 3 full days per week, lectures scheduled between 9am and 5pm, delivered over 2 semesters or 1 academic year.
Starting September 18th, 2023