Data Analytics - Limerick
Master of Science in Data Analytics
Data Analytics is the process of examining vast quantities of data, often referred to as Big Data, in order to draw conclusions and insights about the information they contain. Some examples of Data Analytics applications include real-time fraud detection, complex competitive commercial analysis, website optimisation, intelligent air, road and other traffic management and consumer spending patterns.
Big Data presents three primary problems: there's too much data to handle easily; the speed of data flowing in and out makes it difficult to analyse; and the range and type of data sources are too great to assimilate. With the right analytics and techniques, these big data can deliver hidden and unhidden insights, patterns and relationships from multiple sources using Data Analytics techniques. This programme will ensure that you will be able to understand the data context, apply appropriate techniques and utilise the most relevant tools to generate insights into such data.
The Expert Group on Future Skills Needs report identified Data Analytics as an area of skills deficit. Given the wide range of industries in which Data Analytics can be utilised, the demand for Data Analytics graduates continues to soar. According to IBM, this demand is to increase by 28% by the year 2020 (Forbes, 2017). The average salary for Data Analysts in the US is $69,949 (PwC, 2017), in Ireland, the average salary is €44,758 (indeed ie, 2017).
• Data Analytics - Credits: 05
• Interpretation of Data - Credits: 05
• Programming for Data Analytics - Credits: 10
• Relational Databases - Credits: 05
• Statistics for Data Analytics - Credits: 05
• Advanced Analytics
• Advanced Databases - Credits: 10
• Data Visualisation - Credits: 10
• Research Methods - Credits: 05
• Applied Research Project - Credits: 30
What are the entry requirements?
• A Level 8 or equivalent honours degree in Business, Science
• Engineering. Minimum grade of 2.1 (60%), comprising of at least 30 ECTS credits in any combination of maths, computer science or engineering.
• English Language: Equivalent of IELTS 6.0 and above.
Applications open for 2023-2024
Post Course Info
Are there opportunities for further study?
Graduates of this programme will be able to go on to pursue further study at PhD level.
What are the career prospects?
As Data Analytics is a relatively new and emerging field, the application of analytics spans a vast range of industries including finance, marketing, healthcare and biopharma. Career opportunities for graduates of this programme include:
• Data Analyst
• Data Scientist
• Performance and Analytics Analyst
• Data Operations Analyst
• Financial Marker Analyst
• Business Intelligence Analyst
• Customer Insight Analyst