Education - Post Primary Teaching - PME
The 2 year full-time PME programme provides a holistic programme for the preparation of individuals for a career in the teaching profession through the development of critical and analytical skills, creative methods and strategies for teaching and a reflective professional approach to teaching and learning.
Students undertake specialised pedagogical studies related to post-primary curriculum subjects from the following set (applicants select one at application as their major subject, where available):
• Business Studies (including Accounting and Economics);
• An Ghaeilge;
• Mathematics (including Applied Mathematics);
• Modern Languages (including French, German, Italian, Spanish and other Curricular Languages);
• Religious Education;
• Science (including Biology, Chemistry and Physics).
In addition to this, the programme components include:
• Foundation disciplines of education: assessment, inclusive education, history and policy of Irish education, philosophy, sociology, psychology and history of education.
• School Placement modules in each year of the programme undertaken in a post-primary school within a radius of 35 km (one way, 70 km return) from Dublin city centre.
• Research Dissertation completed in Year 2.
Applicants must be university graduates, with an honours Bachelor degree that includes, as a substantial component, at least one subject from the list of those taught at Leaving Certificate level in Ireland. Applicants should be aware of specific entry criteria to the teaching profession which are set and regulated by the Department of Education and Skills in association with the Teaching Council of Ireland, and which must be satisfied independently of the School of Education's entry requirements. (Full details here). The School of Education are committed to ensuring an inclusive approach to education with a broad and diverse teaching profession. We shortlist and interview candidates on the basis of their degree award and their professional and life experiences.
Please see the full PME course listing on the School of Education website for further details.
Students will be required to undergo Garda Vetting, see https://www.tcd.ie/students/orientation/undergraduates/garda-vetting.php for further details.
Closing Date: 23rd January 2023
2 years full-time
Next Intake: September 2020
Post Course Info
This course provides a holistic programme to prepare graduates for a career in the teaching profession through the development of critical and analytical skills, creative methods and strategies for teaching and a reflective professional approach to teaching and learning.