Educational Leadership & Management - Future Leaders Programme
Maynooth University Department of Education offers an exciting, innovative and flexible Future Leaders Gateway Programme.
The programme is designed specifically to build your knowledge, competences and expertise as you undertake your education leadership journey. The Future Leaders Gateway Programme offers a combination of practical skills and theoretical foundations to support preparation for leadership and management positions at all levels. It is designed and delivered by experienced leaders, educators and academics from a variety of professional education roles and has input from national and international academic/practitioner experts in the areas of educational leadership and management.
What makes it unique?
You have three study options to choose from that best suit your situation, experience and aspirations. These are designed to offer you maximum flexibility in the programme and to engage with your professional development at your own pace. There is an immediate option to undertake a Postgraduate Diploma or Masters’s programme, with an opportunity for returning to study for a Master’s at a later point if you exit with a Postgraduate Diploma (within a four-year period, subject to the availability of places).
What will you gain from the programme?
• A deep understanding of leadership and management in the field of education and insight into your preferred leadership style.
• Development of your communication, persuasive and influencing skills to help you inspire people.
• Self-awareness of both your strengths and areas for development.
• Knowledge of how to introduce, mediate and successfully manage wellbeing, anti-bullying and other policies in school.
• A comprehensive understanding of the legal and policy context relating to management and leadership in educational settings.
• Creative strategies to help you to deliver innovative solutions for your workplace.
• Coaching and mentoring skills to optimise your team’s potential.
• A repertoire of pedagogical and assessment approaches that have been designed to build your competences.
This programme is a one-year, part-time programme in a number of regional centres delivered through a blended learning model that involves significant face-to-face engagement, with a strong emphasis on peer learning. The programme is delivered via lectures, seminars and tutorials that help you develop and deepen your knowledge and understanding of this field.
How do I find out more?
Join us for one of our online Open Night/Information Sessions in spring 2023. Details in course webpage - link below.
There are six taught modules:
(1) Leading and Managing Educational Innovation;
(2) Leadership for Enhancing Cultures of Communication;
(3) Participative Research as Leadership Practice;
(4) The Person and The Professional: Who am I as Leader?;
(5) Legal Contexts, Policy and Practice;
(6) Coaching and Mentoring in and as Leadership Practice.
The programme is delivered via lectures, seminars and tutorials that help you develop and deepen your knowledge and understanding of this field.
There are three entry requirements for the programme:
(1) A minimum of 3 years full time, qualified teaching experience
(2) A recognised level 8 degree
(3) A teaching qualification or equivalent. (In the absence of the candidate having a teaching qualification, proof of current full registration with the Teaching Council showing the year of qualification may be considered).
Applicants must have a recognised primary degree which is considered equivalent to Irish university primary degree level.
Minimum English language requirements: please visit Maynooth University International Office website for information about English language tests accepted and required scores. The requirements specified are applicable for both EU and non-EU applicants.
National University of Ireland Maynooth’s TOEFL code is 8850
Closing Date : 30 June 2023
1 Year Part-Time
Post Course Info
The programme is designed specifically for teachers/educators who are seeking, or already are in, middle and/or senior school leadership roles, as well as for teachers who are seeking to develop their leadership skills in schools and classrooms. The Future Leaders Gateway Programme offers a combination of practical skills and theoretical foundations to support preparation for leadership and management positions at all levels.
Applications are welcome from teachers and/or school leaders who are on career break, sabbatical and/or job-sharing.