Gynaecological Pregnancy Ultrasound
Professional Certificate In Gynaecological Pregnancy Ultrasound
This Professional Certificate offers clinicians the opportunity to develop clinical and academic knowledge of ultrasound and its role in the assessment of the normal pelvis, pre and postmenopausal, assessment of the endometrium in women with postmenopausal bleeding, assessment of IntraUterine Devices and the role that ultrasound plays in the investigation of infertility and monitoring of women undergoing treatment. It aims to equip participants with a level of competence in ultrasound scanning that will enable them to understand the indications for ultrasound examinations, perform scans safely and competently, report on scan findings in the clinical context and know when to refer patients for a more a more detailed assessment.
This programme is an introduction to gynaecological scanning. Further training / supervision would be required in order to be proficient in performing a detailed pelvic survey independently. Technology of ultrasound is incorporated into this clinical module and topics covered will ensure clinicians are competent in selecting appropriate equipment parameters to optimise image acquisition and record optimal representative images. This module is designed to provide both theoretical and practical training, with a significant emphasis on clinical experience.
Students registered for this module are offered the opportunity to study the following:
• the fundamental principles of ultrasound examinations in the assessment of the normal pelvis, pre and postmenopausal;
• the endometrium in women with postmenopausal bleeding;
• the assessment of Intra-Uterine Devices;
• ultrasound examinations in relation to fertility investigations and treatments relative to the management of infertility;
• recognition of possible uterine and ovarian pathology.
Am I eligible for this course?
Applicants should be obstetric and gynaecological trainees at Senior House Officer, Registrar or SPR level, consultants specialising in obstetrics and gynaecology, with approval to practice in Ireland; midwives registered with An Bord Altranais or the UKCC, who provide antenatal care; or Radiographers with the approval to practice Radiography in Ireland or Northern Ireland, who currently practice ultrasound.
• International applicants should contact the academic programme director for a full list of entry requirements.
Who should take this course?
This professional certificate is only available for those who have completed the Prof Cert Early Pregnancy X734. Applicants who have completed X530 Grad Cert Obs or X735 Prof Dip Obs US in the past are also eligible to apply for this programme.
Participants must provide written evidence of an agreement with an obstetric ultrasound department to provide clinical ultrasound experience (minimum 90 hours) and supervision throughout the programme. This agreement must be signed by the named clinical supervisor.
Important dates and information
• The next intake for this course is in January 2023.
• Applications close on midday Friday January 13th, 2023.
• Please complete this declaration of clinical placement: Gynaecological Ultrasound Clinical Declaration.
How to apply:
• To apply click on the www.ucd.ie/apply link and follow the steps outlined. The "Application Type" is Graduate Taught Courses. Fill in your personal details, and when asked about the "Programme Choice", select PC Gynaecological Pregnancy Ultrasound January PT - X737/July PT- 802.
International applicants should contact the academic programme director for a full list of entry requirements.
Duration 6 months (Part-time)