International Marine Biological Resources
Master of Science in International Marine Biological Resources - Level 9
Two year taught International MSc programme covers a wide range of subjects related to the sustainable use of marine biological resources.
This is a unique opportunity to study at a choice of nine European universities and receive one joint degree, while gaining access to Europe's top marine research institutes.
As a student on this exciting Masters programme, you will have the opportunity to:
• Be part of an international student community
• Experience the diversity of European marine ecosystems
• Choose a thematic specialization fit to your own personal interests
• Gain valuable skills through extensive practical and laboratory training
• Present your thesis at an international open symposium
• Research projects as an integral part of your study programme
• Participate in a 10-day field research project during the IMBRSea Joint School
About the International Master in Marine Biological Resources (IMBRSea)
The two-year taught MSc programme, the International Master in Marine Biological Resources (IMBRSea), is a joint Master programme organized by ten leading European universities in the field of marine sciences.
IMBRSea covers a wide range of subjects related to the sustainable use of marine biological resources.
With an emphasis on marine biological and ecological processes, the programme links biology of marine organisms and environmental studies with subjects in marine policy and planning.
The International Master in Marine Biological Resources (IMBRSea), is a joint Master programme organized by ten leading European universities in the field of marine sciences:
• Ghent University (BE)
• Sorbonne Université (FR)
• University of the Algarve (PT)
• University of Oviedo (ES)
• Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology (IE)
• University of the Basque Country (ES)
• Polytechnic University of Marche (IT)
• University of Bergen (NO)
• Université de Bretagne Occidentale (FR)
• Université Côte d'Azur (FR)
It is supported by fourteen Marine Research Institutes belonging to the European Marine Biological Resource Centre (EMBRC).
Based on the objectives of the EMBRC consortium, IMBRSea covers a wide range of subjects related to the sustainable use of marine biological resources. With an emphasis on marine biological and ecological processes, the programme links biology of marine organisms and environmental studies with subjects in marine policy and planning.
IMBRSea covers a range of subjects within marine science and marine biological resources. With an emphasis on marine biological and ecological processes, the programme links biology of marine organisms and environmental studies with subjects in marine policy and planning.
Topics are covered through Thematic Modules in Specialization Tracks to prepare the next generation of scientists who need to understand the marine ecosystem functioning and conservation of biodiversity to work in biological resources exploitation and management.
IMBRSea offers a unique combination of Courses, Annual Symposia, Professional Practices and Thesis subjects in an integrated program to learn how to develop blue biotechnologies in a sustainable way.
Quantitative methods in marine science
Marine Policy and Governance
Marine GIS & Spatial Planning
IMBRSea Professional Practice Portfolio
Animal Behaviour: Recording and Analysis
Acoustic Monitoring as a Marine Conservation Tool
Species Distribution Modelling
Seabird and Marine Mammal Population Assessment Techniques
Ecology of top predators in marine systems
Statistical Analysis in Population Ecology
Secondary Impacts of Harvest on Wild Populations & Ecosystems
Life History Strategies and Trade-Offs
Erasmus Mundus Research Thesis
A prerequisite for admission is that applicants have a Bachelor (or Master) degree in biology, ecology, environmental sciences, oceanography, marine sciences, geography, geology, veterinary medicine or other equivalent degrees with minimum 180 credits (3 years).
Knowledge of the English language is considered as a basic requirement.
All students must provide evidence of their proficiency in English through one of the following documents (not older than 2 years at the application deadline)
• A recent TOEFL Certificate: minimum score: 87 points (internet based)
• A recent IELTS Certificate: minimum score: 6.5
• A recent Certificate of a University Language Centre testifying that the student masters the necessary knowledge of English to function academically (specify CEF-level / minimum CEF-level B2)
• A recent Cambridge English certificate: Cambridge English First (FCE) - grade A or B
• A certificate proving that you have followed at least 1 year of higher education in English
Further details are available at the IMBRSea website.
Applications opening date: February 17th, 2022
Applications closing date: 27th May, 2022.
Please visit the IMBRSea Application page to apply http://imbrsea.eu/applications
For any queries about the application process please contact:
Level: 120 ECTS taught MSc, Irish NQF Level 9, European EQF Level 5
Mode of Study: Full Time
Method of Delivery: On Campus
Post Course Info
The IMBRSea programme will prepare you for a broad range of careers from academic marine research to working within industry, governmental or non-governmental organisations.
Potential roles include:
• Fisheries biologist
• Marine consultant
• Ocean and coastal policy coordinator
• Contract scientific diver
• Marine biologist
• Marine park manager