Journalism & Media Communications
Master key media skills and develop a critical understanding of essential media and communications.
This postgraduate programme delivers a comprehensive syllabus of media skills designed to equip you with the key practical competencies needed to work in a professional media environment today.
Why Study Journalism & Media Communications at Griffith College?
The Postgraduate Diploma in Journalism & Media Communications is conducted on both a full and part-time basis over a 1-2 year period and allows students to develop their own study path through the selection of elective modules. It is for people who wish to embark on a career in the fast-changing industry of contemporary journalism and media communications. Designed and delivered by journalism and communications professionals and full-time academics, the course immerses learners in a professional media production environment. The programme team cultivates among learners a commitment to the production of high quality and ethical journalism, as well as leadership and innovation skills. Graduates of the course may progress onto the Dissertation stage to obtain the full MA in Journalism & Media Communications.
- You will acquire the practical skills to conceive, produce, edit and publish their own media content.
- You will gain familiarity with multiple platforms: web, mobile, video, radio, print and photography.
- For the programme duration, participants are entitled to apply for a NUJ Press Card.
- You will gain a solid understanding of media theory, research methods and media law and ethics.
- You will significantly develop your writing, production and communication skills, exploring areas like reporting, feature writing and investigative journalism.
- You will be challenged in real journalistic situations in print, broadcast and online media in a media working environment through work with the college magazine, online publications and radio station.
- You will have the opportunity to create a professional portfolio of your writing, radio output as well as video and photography work to show future employers.
- NUJ Press Pass for the duration of your study
- State of the art studios and facilities
- Build your own professional portfolio
- Study full-time, part-time or through blended learning
- Work on real-life journalistic situations
- Connect with industry leaders
The Postgraduate Diploma in Journalism and Media Communications programme comprises 12 modules. Shorthand is available as an extra elective for no credit. Students who complete the Postgraduate Diploma may progress onto the MA in Journalism and Media Communications.
2.2 degree in any discipline
In response to the worldwide closure of English Language Test Centres arising from the Covid-19 pandemic, Griffith College is now accepting the online Duolingo English Test (DET) as valid proof of English proficiency. This is a temporary measure for our intakes up to and including February 2022.
Media Law and Ethics
MoJo: Mobile Video Journalism
Sociology of the Media
Writing and Editing: News, Features, Content
Communications and Audience Theories
Online Media: Creation, Curation
Media Design and Production
Video Journalism and Documentary
Business of Media
International Media Landscapes
International Political Economy
1 year full-time, 2 years part-time.
We run 2 intakes for this course commencing in Spring and Autumn.
*subject to sufficient numbers.
Post Course Info
Graduates of this course have the option to continue their studies in Griffith College with progression onto:
The Dissertation stage of the MA in Journalism and Media Communications
You can contact our admissions team to discuss what progression options are available to you.
Through the Postgraduate Diploma in Journalism and Media Communications, you will have gained valuable professional experience, built a strong portfolio and covered a diverse range of media. Graduates from this programme are employed in a wide variety of fields across the communications industries. A sample of recent graduates' job titles include:
Senior News Reporter
Lifestyle and Entertainment Reporter
Web Partnerships Manager
Digital Content Executive
Communications Associate / Executive
Social Media Analyst / Manager
Freelance Copywriter / Journalist / Producer