Law - LLM - General
The LLM (General) is one of a suite of LLM programmes offered by the School of Law at NUI Galway. This LLM can be taken on a fulltime basis over one year or part-time over two years. The programme is a taught programme designed to give students complete flexibility in their selecton of modules and topic for their minor thesis. The LLM (General) programme allows students to select modules to suit their own interests and modules that will facilitate their specific career objectives. Students can select modules from the full range available for taught LLM programmes offered within the School of Law, the Irish Centre for Human Rights and the Centre for Disability Law and Policy. This programme is designed for students seeking an advanced postgraduate degree but who do not wish to specialise in a particular area of law.
3 Good Reasons To Study This Course
1. This programme allows students to 'build their own master's'.
2. Access to any modules across the Law School, the Irish Centre for Human Rights, and the Centre for Disability Law and Policy.
3. Students can tailor their studies to meet their future career plans.
Minimum Entry Requirements
The criteria for admission to this programme are as follows:
• An approved Second Class Honours Degree, Grade 1 (2.1, Level 8) in law, or an inter-disciplinary degree in which law was a major component.
• Applicants awarded a Graduate Diploma in Law may be considered but will be admitted only if they demonstrate a strong academic performance in both the undergraduate degree and diploma.
• In exceptional circumstances, an applicant holding a degree in another discipline or a degree of less than an approved Second Class Honours Degree, Grade 1 (2.1) standard may be considered if they have relevant professional experience in law.
All applicants whose first language is not English must present one of the following qualifications in the English language: IELTS (6.5 overall), TOEFL (8) and Pearson PTE (61).
1 year, full-time; 2 years, part-time.
Post Course Info
The LLM (General) is of particular interest to students who wish to gain expertise in a specific area of law without having to limit their options. Rather than have to take set modules, students have the flexibility to tailor the programme for the particular area of law that they wish to work in and thus, enhance their employability. The School of Law runs a programme of careers events annually, including a Careers in Law Week, which gives students have an opportunity to meet partners from leading law firms and attend interview skills workshops. All modules are taught by experts in the field who will also be in a position to guide students towards opportunities that may arise for further research, internships or roles that may be of interest to them.