Medical Device Technology & Business
Develop your knowledge of medical device technology, business and regulation for a career in the MedTech sector.
This unique Master of Science course is delivered by the Griffith Innopharma Faculty of Science and is a blend of medical device technology and business.
This programme is delivered in partnership with Innopharma.
Why Study Medical Device Technology & Business with Innopharma at Griffith College?
The Master of Science in Medical Device Technology & Business is a blended learning programme, delivered through evening class room learning supported by live online broadcasts and weekend group work.
The course will focus on core competencies such as medical device classification, device design cycle, manufacturing, quality systems & regulations, biocompatibility, operational excellence, lean sigma, emerging trends in medical devices, medical device measurement and analysis, strategic thinking and professional development.
• Gain exceptional knowledge within an ever-expanding industry.
• Develop a detailed understanding of the medical device industry.
• Achieve your potential using a blended learning approach of classroom training and online learning.
• Attend classes supported by online delivery two evenings per week and two Saturdays per month.
• Develop your skills in career progression to help you pursue a successful career in the MedTech sector.
Module 1: Medical Device Technology
• Medical device types and classification
• Connected health and mobile devices
• Human anatomy & physiology
• Medical device design cycle
• Value engineering of medical devices
• Packaging & testing
• Combination products
Module 2: Medical Device Quality Systems & Regulation
• Medical device regulations - ISO 13485
• DFA requirements - Class I, II and III devices
• Statutory frameworks medical device design
• Quality system elements
• Validation and change control
• Facility plant design
• Product process validation
Module 3: Emerging trends in Medical Devices
• Challenges facing the MedTech sector
• Move towards value-based healthcare
• Growing regulatory pressures
• Resource constraints
• Product & process differentiating capabilities
• Growth initiatives
• Transforming cost structures and reorganising for sustainability
• Connected and combined smart medical devices
• Software-based medical devices
Module 4: Research Methods
• Research paradigms
• Research strategies
• Qualitative data collection and analysis
Module 5 : Strategy, Leadership & the Culture of Innovation
• Current challenges of MedTech industry
• Strategic thinking in the industry
• Leading change
• The culture of innovation
• Corporate governance and business ethics
Module 6: Operational Excellence & the Science of Innovation
• Origins of operational excellence
• Operational excellence implementation models
• Lean sigma implementation
• Design for six sigma
• Science of innovation
• TRIZ concepts
• Key performance indicators (KPI)
• Quality function deployment
Module 7: Medical Measurement and Analysis
• Medical data analysis
• Distributed databases
• Data collection systems & data architectures
• Data analysis software
• Data storage and data integrity
• Data management in product and process design
• Characteristics of data
• Data types and information
• Functions of visualisations, tables & graphs
• Visualisation techniques and applications
• Software applications for data visualisation
• Dissertation abstract
• Introduction and rationale
• Research methodology
• Analysis & results
• Discussions and recommendations
• Presentation of dissertation
The primary target audience are those with a minimum qualification of higher degree (minimum 2.2 or higher) at NFQ Level 8 or higher in Science, Quality, Manufacturing, Engineering, Medicine or related discipline.
Griffith College is accepting the online Duolingo English Test (DET) as valid proof of English proficiency.
How to Apply
Applicants should contact a member of the Innopharma Education team at +353 1 485 3346 or via email.
Students can also apply directly through Griffith.ie
3 semesters. Full-Time / Blended Learning.
Full-Time / International Offering:
Four days per week on campus.
We have two intakes for this course throughout the year, commencing in January and September.
Post Course Info
Options will depend on the academic requirements and the career choice of the learner.
Potential Roles in the MedTech industry include;
• Biomedical Engineering
• Process / Product Design
• Manufacturing / Operations
• Regulatory Affairs / Compliance
• Validation / Automation
• Operational Excellence
• Quality Control / Quality Assurance