Medicine - Occupational Medicine
This upgrade option is taken part-time over one academic year. Each physician applying for approval for prior learning will be assessed on an individual basis.
Vision and Values Statement
This MSc in Occupational Medicine upgrade programme is designed for physicians who have already been awarded with the Licentiate (LFOM) or Membership of the Faculty of Occupational Medicine (MFOM), Royal College of Physicians of Ireland or have previously been awarded a Higher Diploma or Graduate Diploma in Occupational Health by UCD. The programme aims to build on the knowledge already acquired through previous university or professional qualification and further develop the research, critical appraisal, statistical analysis and communication skills of doctors for the practice of occupational medicine. Students undertake individual research and complete a thesis under the direction of a supervisor and supported by training in the use of a statistical analysis package; oral and written assessment approaches are taken.
Stage 1 - Option
Legislative and Methodological Aspects of Occupational Health PHPS40120
Occupational Health Principles and Practice PHPS40140
Occupational Toxicology and Ergonomics PHPS40150
Clinical Practice of Occupational Medicine PHPS40160
Occupational Hygiene PHPS40170
Applied Research Methods & Data Management PHPS40550
Occupational Medicine Essay PHPS40590
1. Physicians who hold the Licentiate or Membership of the Faculty of Occupational Medicine, the Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland and have completed the UCD Higher Diploma in Occupational Health, will be eligible to undertake a 30-credit Thesis module to complete their MSc
2. Those doctors who hold the LFOM or MFOM but did not undertake the Higher Diploma in Occupational Health in UCD will undertake 50 credits. This will comprise
- 30 credit Thesis Module
- 10 credi Research Methods Module
- 10 credit essay on an aspect of clinical practice of Occupational Medicine.
How to apply?
The following entry routes are available:
MSc Occupational Medicine PT (X724)
* Courses will remain open until such time as all places have been filled, therefore early application is advised
1 year part-time.