Nurse Authority to Refer for Radiological Procedures - Micro-Credential
• This cohort includes nurses who are required to complete the micro-credential to meet requirements set by the regulator, nurses and midwives in advanced practice roles, and nurse/midwife prescribers who require this module to allow for the expansion of their practice to the top of their licence.
• This micro-credential is also suitable for practice nurses (in GP surgeries).
Why should I take this Micro-credential?
• This micro-credential expands the nurse/midwife's scope of practice to include radiological referral and allows them to practice at the top of their licence in meeting service need. This will reduce patient waiting times for radiological referral and will improve service efficiency.
• Through this micro-credential, nurses/midwives can be equipped with the necessary knowledge, skills, attitudes and competencies to refer persons for radiological and other imaging procedures safely and within the practitioner's scope of practice.
What will I learn?
Learning outcomes will include developing capacity to:
• Demonstrate a systematic understanding of the regulatory framework associated with the referral of persons for medical radiological procedures.
• Critically utilise evidence-based knowledge, skill and competence in the holistic assessment and care of a person in the referral for medical radiological procedures.
• Apply expert skills in decision making in relation to the referral of persons for appropriate medical radiological procedures.
• Demonstrate and understanding of medical radiological procedures and other imaging procedures and their implications in a person's safety.
• Demonstrate knowledge of the role of the multidisciplinary team and effective communication processes involved in safe nurse/midwife authority to refer persons for medical radiological procedures.
• Know the justification process and understand the principles of radiation protection of the person and staff.
What will I do?
• The learning methods include lectures, seminars, tutorials, online resources, clinical visits, and community interaction.
• The topics of this micro-credential include:
1. Evidence-based practice and clinical governance in relation to referring for medical radiological procedures.
2. Principles of the referral process for medical radiological procedures.
3. Collaboration referral process with other health care professionals.
4. National and local health care providers' guidelines, policies & protocols for referral for medical radiological procedures.
How will this Micro-credential be delivered?
• This micro-credential is taught using a blended learning approach - 3 days in person, and 2 days online and offers a learning experience that is both structured and flexible.
• Lectures will be co-streamed and delivered on designated days to facilitate attendance by MC learners. Online lectures will be available for students to access live or as pre-recorded sessions. Online resources for directed learning will be available to learners to facilitate flexibility and increase access.
• Clinical mentorship supports the development of competency in practice, and assessment for the micro-credential.
• Minimum of one year's professional registration with Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland and experience.
• Currently work in an area where nurse/midwife authority to refer for radiological procedures is supported.
• Honours degree in a relevant discipline (however, relevant experience will also be considered which must include- evidence of completion of Physical Health assessment module previously and/or of previous hospital/locally provided in-house education related to the practice of referring for radiological procedures accompanied by practice for minimum of 3 years).
• Satisfy the selection panel.
• CV & Transcript.
• NMBI Registration(copy).
• Site Declaration form and Site Audit form.
• Garda Vetting
Closing Date: 26th August 2023