Why study nursing and midwifery at RCSI Dublin?
Educating future leaders in healthcare delivery and related research is at the core of the mission of the RCSI School of Nursing & Midwifery. The School aims to develop caring, reflective nursing and midwifery practitioners who can seek out and use research-based knowledge to improve patient care.
We are committed to providing students with outcome-focused curricula shaped by innovative teaching and learning practices. We have a long association with postgraduate nursing and midwifery education and are the largest such school in Ireland.
We aspire to become recognised leaders in the provision of health sciences education, both nationally and internationally. The suite of programmes we offer nurses and midwives in pursuit of postgraduate education is continually evolving in response to the needs within the healthcare service.
Our goal is to empower nurses and midwives to be able to demonstrate the difference they make to practice, and in doing so, to be able to respond accordingly to the leadership and professional challenges that they face every day.
The Postgraduate Certificate in Nursing Management is a short (six-month) programme for nurses/midwives who are educated to certificate/diploma level and would like to further their learning in the areas of health financial management, human resource management and nursing education.
This programme will provide you with the skills and knowledge to:
• Evaluate the factors that influence health; and identify and plan health promotion interventions appropriate to patient/client needs in their areas of care.
• Reflect on the role of nursing management and leadership in order to work effectively as integrated members of multi/interdisciplinary healthcare teams.
• Analyse healthcare financing systems and evaluate the allocation of resources and the impact of this on the role of the nurse manager.
• Evaluate the theory of human resource management in a variety of clinical nursing environments.
To be eligible for the programme you must be active on the Opens in new windowNMBI register and educated to certificate or diploma level, demonstrated through a defined recognition of prior learning (RPL) process.
The six-month Postgraduate Certificate in Nursing Management programme is run over one academic semester. Classes are delivered through blended learning with study days taking place in RCSI Dublin, once every two weeks.
The programme modules are:
Module name Credits Assessment method
• Leadership and Management 10 Case study and assignment
• Human Resource & Financial Management 10 Assignment and online quiz
• Education for Professional Practice 10 Small group presentation and assignment
Fees and funding
•Total fees: Fees are currently being reviewed for 2020/21 and will be released shortly.
•Your annual fees include the €45 NUI fee.
•There is a non-refundable online application fee of €50.
•Fees can be paid by bank transfer, cheque (made payable to 'RCSI') or bank giro. Full details on fee payment will be emailed to you shortly before the commencement of your programme.
•You can pay your fees in three instalments – one payment of 40% is due before you commence the programme, while the remaining payments can be paid in two 30% instalments in November and February of your year of study.
•If you meet the criteria for a Non-EU student please contact us for more information on fee payments
Intake Sept 2020