Nursing - Nurse / Midwife Prescribing
This certificate programme was developed in response to a need for nurses and midwives to prescribe in order to support high-quality, person-centred care.
Course content: The programme is delivered over a six-month period. The modules are delivered in a blended learning format, with a combination of e-learning using Blackboard and workshops in college. In addition, students will be mentored in their practice setting for the duration of the programme. This will include 12 days of direct supervision of the prescriptive process by a medical practitioner. The programme is comprised of three theory/practice modules and a clinical competency assessment in prescribing.
Modules include: Physical Assessment Skills; Professional, Ethical, and Legal Issues of Nurse and Midwife; Prescribing Drugs; Drugs, Patients and Illness; Clinical Competency—Prescribing.
Minimum Entry Requirements
All applicants must meet the following entry requirements:
1. Be registered as a nurse or midwife on the register of the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI);
2. Be currently employed as a nurse or midwife;
3. Have a minimum of three years' recent post-registration clinical experience in nursing or midwifery (within the last five years), with the equivalent of one year's full time experience in the specific area of practice in which prescribing is proposed;
4. Possess the competencies recognised at Level 8 of the National Framework of Qualifications;
5. Provide evidence of having undertaken continuing professional education;
6. Have support from an employer to undertake the programme, evidenced by a completed Site Declaration Form;
7. Have confirmation of a designated nurse/midwife/medical mentor, evidenced by a completed Site Declaration Form.
WHEN TO APPLY: NUI Galway does not set a deadline for receipt of applications (with some exceptions). Offers will be issued on a continuous basis. Candidates are encouraged to apply as early as possible.
6 months, full-time; two intakes each year (January and September).
Post Course Info
This programme will equip students with the competencies and skills needed to take on the extended role of prescribing medicines.