Nutrition & Sensory Science
Master of Science in Nutrition and Sensory Science - Level 9
This is a full-time taught programme designed to provide graduates working in Food Science, Nutritional Science, Sensory Science, and Culinary Arts professions with in-depth knowledge and skills in the area of Nutrition and Sensory Science.
The MSc in Nutrition and Sensory Science focuses on the role of Nutrition and Sensory in Science.
It is for graduates who have already developed a real interest in science and food and are aiming to build on their knowledge, and to improve their practical knowledge and sensory skills in this burgeoning area of study.
This Masters programme is designed to provide students with evidence-based practice, and a firm grounding in the scientific method in the context of Nutrition and Sensory Science.
The course is based on the latest scientific research and covers:
• Statistics for Sensory Science
• Sensory Techniques for Nutrition Research
• Food Packaging and Marketing for Product Development
• Principles of Food and Nutritional Science
• Consumer and Trained Panel Sensory Science
• Research Methods
Students will also complete two Applied Research Projects.
This is currently the only postgraduate course in Nutrition and Sensory Science being offered in Ireland.
The programme is delivered via blended learning and has been designed to suit those that are already in the workplace as it can be completed on a part-time basis.
Principles of Food and Nutritional Science
Consumer & Trained Panel Sensory Science
Sensory Techniques for Nutrition Research
Food Packaging and Marketing for Product Development
Statistics for Sensory Science
Research Project 1
Research Project 2
All students will require Garda Vetting.
How to apply
Application date opens from 17th February, 2022
Apply directly to GMIT using GMIT's Online Admissions system, selecting Application Type L9.
The closing date for applications is 27th May, 2022.
Mode of Study: Full Time
Method of Delivery: On Campus
Post Course Info
Students successfully completing the MSc in Nutrition and Sensory Science at GMIT will enjoy an exciting and diverse career field.
Career opportunities in this field are developing rapidly for graduates with advanced skills in training consumer panels and trained sensory panels.
Employment opportunities are similar at a local, regional and national level.
These roles include:
• Sensory Scientist
• Sensory & Consumer Scientist
• New Product Development Technologist
• RD&A Scientist
• Quality Assurance Technologist
• Digital Consumer Insights Analyst
• Digital Food Media Associate
• Research Officer in State Agencies and Higher Education Institutions
• Advisory roles in Nutrition, Sensory, and Taste Sciences
• Self-employment (consultant, entrepreneur)
• Lecturer in Higher Education
• Post Graduate Researcher
• Graduates will also be eligible to pursue research PhD programmes in a range of areas.