MPH Public Health
Graduate Taught (level 9 nfq, credits 90)
The MPH programme in UCD is a long-standing, internationally recognised Graduate Entry Professional Programme, developed to offer multidisciplinary training and development in Public Health.
• Knowledge of the factors influencing health status.
• An understanding of the organisation and financing of Health Services and their impact on population health.
• The epidemiological skills of study design and analysis.
• Ability to work as an active team member in planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluating health policy.
The degree of Master of Public Health may be granted to registered medical and dental practitioners and to those with professional backgrounds in health or health care provision, who hold an appropriate primary degree or equivalent qualification. Candidates may be required to undertake an interview prior to acceptance for the course.
Vision & Values Statement
The Master of Public Health provides broad-based education and training in the basic disciplines which underlie the practice of Public Health including disease epidemiology, research methods and statistics, health promotion, environmental health, health economics, international health, sociology and health policy. The course provides the academic foundation for the practice of Public Health. We value and therefore encourage students to be active, motivated autonomous learners. The learning environment is multi-disciplinary in nature. Tutorials, seminars and group work are important features of the teaching approach. Assessment is by continuous assessment and end of semester examinations and a research thesis. Assessment approaches include written assignments, oral presentations (both group and individual), data analysis and written examinations
• Graduates will be able to identify and apply appropriate epidemiological methods for study design.
• Graduates will be able to identify and apply appropriate statistical analysis to analyse a public health problem.
• Graduates will be able to identify the occurrence and distribution of health and illness in populations, understand the wider determinants of health and disease, analyse and interpret health data to assess community needs and resources and understand the requirement for multidisciplinary working.
• Graduates will demonstrate critical appraisal skills.
• Graduates will demonstrate understanding of health promotion and disease prevention and the importance of advocacy as a public health professional.
• Graduates will demonstrate understanding of the breadth of the role of public health in the health services.
Stage 1 - Core
Fundamentals of Epidemiology
Public Health Practice and Policy
Communicable Disease Epidemiology
Non Communicable Disease Epidemiology
SDGs and Global Health
Applied Research Methods, Data Management & Analysis with SPSS
Principles of Health Financing and Management
Stage 1 - Option
Food Diet and Health
Risk Perception, Communication and Behavior Changes
Research Methods in Genetic Epidemiology
Risk Analysis in Food Safety
International Health in Action
Introduction to Knowledge Synthesis, Systematic Reviews & Meta-analysis
Graduate Teaching Assistant
This programme is intended for Graduates of Health Science degree programmes (Medicine, Dentistry, Public Health, Pharmacy, Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, Nutrition, Nursing, or other), Science degree programmes (Biology, Biochemistry, Food Science, Physiology, Pharmacology, or other) or Social Science degree programmes (Psychology, Sociology, Economics, or other) preferably with a 2.1 Award or higher. Awards of 2:2 or less may be considered with additional suitable credentials.
Applicants will be required to provide evidence of the highest level of mathematics achieved in prior education.
• Applicants whose first language is not English must also demonstrate English language proficiency of IELTS Scores: Not less than 6.5 overall, with not less than 6.5 in writing and not less than 6 in each other component.
These are the minimum entry requirements – additional criteria may be requested for some programmes.
How to apply?
The following entry routes are available:
MPH FT (X065)
MPH PT (X183)
* Courses will remain open until such time as all places have been filled, therefore early application is advised.
MPH FT (X065)
Duration: 1 Years
Attend: Full Time
MPH PT (X183)
Duration: 2 Years
Attend: Part Time
MPH Public Health (X065) Full Time
EU fee per year - € 8545
nonEU fee per year - € 19740
MPH Public Health (X183) Part Time
EU fee per year - € 4305
nonEU fee per year - € 12800
***Fees are subject to change
Tuition fee information is available on the UCD Fees website.
Next Intake: 2020/2021 September
Post Course Info
Careers & Employability
As UCD has a globally acclaimed reputation in the area of Public Health learning, students will gain the skills and knowledge necessary to thrive in a wide range of careers in the Public Health sector.
Many former students hold significant posts in Public Health in various parts of the world. MPH Graduates include, for example, Consultants in Public Health Medicine, University Professors and Ministry of Health Medical Officers.
• MPH (Nutrition) FT
• MPH (International Health) FT
• MPH (Penang Medical College) FT