Scríobh & Cumarsáid na Gaeilge
MA Scríobh & Cumarsáid na Gaeilge
Graduate Taught (level 9 nfq, credits 90)
This course is designed for students of Irish language and literature and for those working in the Irish language sector. There is a focus on a high standard of language and transferable language skills. Students who complete this course graduate with a high standard of accuracy in Irish language, and an understanding of its role in Irish society and Europe.
Work placements are a key part of this course, which also entails a research project with skills ranging from use of translation and media packages, to research skills, depending on the choices made by the student. Students will graduate with effective communication and analytical skills to prepare them for a variety of career paths including: careers in Education, Media, Translation, Public Service, Research, Editing and Publishing.
• Students who complete this course graduate with a high standard of accuracy in Irish language, and an understanding of its role in Irish society and Europe.
• The student completes a thesis on any topic in modern Irish language or literature.
• Work placements are also part of this course which also entail a research project encompassing interdisciplinary skills ranging from use of translation and media packages, to research skills, depending on the choices made by the student.
Recent modules have included:
• Teanga na Gaeilge IV
• Aistriúchán Gairmiúil
• Na Meáin Ghaeilge
• Dlí agus Aistrúchán I & II
• Ceird na Scríbhneoireachta
Stage 1 - Core
Teanga na Gaeilge 4(MA: Scríobh agus Cumarsáid na Gaeilge) IR40040
Tráchtas / Tionscnamh taighde IR40100
Scileanna Aistriúcháin IR40120
Stage 1 - Option
Arts and Events Programming HUM40050
Na meáin Ghaeilge IR40090
Ceird na Scríbhneoireachta IR40190
Dlí agus Aistriúchán II IR40400
An Béal Beo IR40480
Aistriúchán Gairmiúil IR40510
Dlí agus Aistriúchán 1 IR40520
Saormhodúl Aistriúcháin IR40550
People, Information & Communication: Our Information Behaviour IS40030
The Information Professional as Teacher IS40480
Children & Youth Info Services IS40570
French for General Purposes 4 LANG20440
German for General Purposes 4 LANG20450
Spanish General Purposes 4 LANG20470
An upper second class honours degree, or the international equivalent, in Irish or a related area or significant professional work experience working in Irish language organisations or in the teaching profession is required.
Applicants whose first language is not English must also demonstrate English language proficiency of IELTS 6.5 (no band less than 6.0 in each element), or equivalent.
How to apply?
The following entry routes are available:
MA Scríobh agus Cumarsáid na Gaeilge FT (Z030)
MA Scríobh agus Cumarsáid na Gaeilge PT (Z199)
* Courses will remain open until such time as all places have been filled, therefore early application is advised
FT (Z030): 1 year full-time. PT (Z199): 2 years part-time. Mode of Delivery: Face-to-Face.
MA Scríobh & Cumarsáid na Gaeilge (Z030) Full Time
EU fee per year - € 7315
nonEU fee per year - € 19900
MA Scríobh agus Cumarsáid (Z199) Part Time
EU fee per year - € 4390
nonEU fee per year - € 9950
***Fees are subject to change
Tuition fee information is available on the UCD Fees website.
Next Intake: 2024/2025 September.
Post Course Info
Careers & Employability
Since its inception many students from this programme have secured international scholarships, such as the Fulbright Award or the Ireland Canada University Foundation Scholarship, working annually in thirdlevel institutions in the US and Canada.
International opportunities can include posts in: translation, interpretation, copy-editing, administrative positions, lawyer linguist and publishing.
• Publishing, terminology projects (Fiontar DCU, Foclóirí)
• Media (print, radio television, online)
• Teaching (second and third Level)
• Research – particularly in the areas of media, revival, sociolinguistics, translation, terminology or literature for example
• State and Semi-state bodies and funded organisations, such as Foras na Gaeilge, Conradh na Gaeilge and Eagrais Ghaelscolaíochta.