Sociology - Research
- To provide high quality research training in a lively intellectual atmosphere
- To promote students’ professional involvement in academic life
- To ensure that students will make a contribution to the advancement of knowledge in sociology
- And to ensure that students will make a contribution to the understanding and well being of contemporary societies
By the end of their time as a research postgraduate student in the Department it is our goal that students will:
- Have completed a thesis which is a high quality piece of orginal sociological analysis and is at least partly publishable in a peer-reviewed academic outlet
- Have developed and demonstrated a significant level of skill in at least one methodology of sociological research and analysis
- Have a broad knowledge of a number of sub-fields within sociology
- And have had the opportunity to develop teaching and administrative skills and experience
Ph.D students acquire 30 credits in the first three years (60 in the case of postgraduates who do not already have an MA) through taking a combination of compulsory and optional courses oriented towards broadening theoretical perspectives, offering methodological expertise, and providing guidance on teaching at third level.
MLitt research students follow a similar progression, but over a shorter period (2 years in general) and in somewhat less depth. All incoming research postgraduates are required to complete certain taught courses.
Minimum 2.1 degree in BA or MA in Sociology or Cognate subject. Applications with equivalent learning are also welcomed.
Applicants must have a recognised primary degree which is considered equivalent to Irish university primary degree level.
Applicants are advised to contact the Department to discuss their research topic before submitting a required research proposal of 7-10 pages duration. Please see course website for further details.
Minimum English language requirements:
IELTS: 6.5 minimum overall score
TOEFL (Paper based test): 585
TOEFL (Internet based test): 95
PTE (Pearson): 62
Maynooth University’s TOEFL code is 8850
2 years Full-time, 3 years Part-time
Post Course Info
Third Level Teaching
Private, Community and Voluntary Sectors
Media and New Technology
Urban, Rural and Community Planning