This is an interdisciplinary MA programme, which explores and critiques the importance of translation in contemporary society. Students with a background in two languages - French, Spanish, German, Italian or Irish - will consolidate and extend their translation skills between these languages and English, and will also gain an appreciation of the centrality of translation in critical debates on intercultural communication.
3 Good Reasons To Study This Course
1. The course broadens students' understanding of translation, moving beyond practice into reflections on the impact of translation in everyday life.
2. Students will be introduced to TRADOS translation software, used in translation work in industry.
3. Beyond the honing of translation skills, students will develop a range of transferable skills through collaborative tasks and presentations at various stages of the course.
Minimum entry requirements
Second Class Honours QQI Level 8 degree or equivalent, with Second Class Honours Grade 2 or equivalent in each language.
The programme includes such modules as:
• Advanced Language Skills I and II in Spanish/French/Italian/German
• Teanga na Gaeilge
• Teanga, Coimhlint agus gus Cultúir or Teoiricí Liteartha agus Cultúir
• Translation Studies I
• Translation Methodology
• Language and Intercultural Communication
1 year full-time.
Post Course Info
Graduates have gone on to pursue careers in a range of fields, including the civil service, teaching, translation and human resources.