University Teaching & Learning
Cert CPD University Teaching & Learning
Graduate Taught (level 9 nfq, credits 7.5)
Certificate of Continuing Professional Development (CPD), University Teaching & Learning is a professional qualification in university teaching and learning. The Certificate of CPD is a one module programme offering faculty the opportunity to take an in service programme which runs for one semester only.
- Taught by experienced academic staff
- Research-informed and experiential approaches to developing your repertoire of teaching, learning and assessment strategies
- Learn about creative approaches to teaching through discussion with your peers
- Participants will engage in active, discursive and collaborative learning approaches. The emphasis is on critically reflecting on one's own practice to plan, implement and review new teaching and learning initiatives in disciplinary contexts.
Vision and Values Statement
The Certificate in Continuing Professional Development (University Teaching and Learning) offers academic staff an opportunity for continuing professional development in one chosen area of teaching. It will equip participants with the knowledge and skills to provide effective high quality educational experiences for their students. It values academic rigour and practice relevance. It therefore uses research-led and evidence - based approaches to address contemporary issues and challenges in higher education. The emphasis is on critically reflecting on one's own practice to plan, implement and review new teaching and learning initiatives in disciplinary contexts.
It aims to provide a learning environment where participants will engage in active, discursive and collaborative learning approaches. A key feature of the programme is learning from peers in collegial interdisciplinary groups.
By the end of the Certificate in Continuing Professional Development in University Teaching and Learning you will also be able to:
- Reflect critically on an aspect of your teaching practice (e.g. assessment, curriculum design etc.) based on your choice of module
- Explore new ideas and strategies in this area
- Adapt new ideas and strategies to your teaching practice
- Contribute to a portfolio of teaching practice
- Approach teaching more creatively through discussion and collaboration with your peers
- Evaluate and plan for future continuing professional development needs.
Entry to the Professional Certificate and the Certificate of Continuing Professional Development is open to faculty and academic related staff who are;
1) currently teaching in higher education (i.e. within a university or at NFQ level 7 or above).
2) in an active teaching role including design, delivery and assessment of modules
3) undertaking a significant teaching commitment, defined as a minimum of 2 hours teaching per week per semester or 48 hours over the course of the academic year.
Professional staff who teach as part of their brief and meet criteria 1, 2 and 3 above may apply for the programme and will be considered on a case by case basis.
Please note that the Professional Certificate and the Certificate of Continuing Professional Development are not suitable for tutors or postdoctoral and research fellows. UCD Teaching and Learning offers the module University Teaching and Learning for Tutors, Demonstrators and TAs (UTL40230) and the University Teaching & Learning Practice seminar series. In the exceptional circumstances where a Postdoctoral Research Fellow (level 2) is approved as module coordinator by Academic Council (or its relevant subcommittee) and has completed the Seminar Series for Post Doctoral Researcher Fellows they are eligible to apply to the programmes. It will be a requirement on the part of the applicant to present evidence to support these criteria.
The final decision on eligibility of all candidates will be made by the Board of Studies on the recommendation of the Programme Director.
Stage 1 - Option
Becoming a Better University Teacher UTL40180
Promoting student engagement through the application of technology to develop active learning UTL40190
Designing Curricula UTL40200
12 Weeks, Part-time.
Tuition fee information is available on the UCD Fees website. For UCD faculty and staff enrolling to UTL programmes, the programme fee will be waived.
Next Intake: 2020/2021 September
Post Course Info
Careers & Employability
The Certificate of CPD (7.5 ECTS credits) in University Teaching and Learning is an in-service programme for those who are currently teaching in higher education (i.e NQF level 7 or above). It offers academics at different stages of their careers opportunities to review and improve their teaching skills and their understanding of approaches and theories in effective higher education.
Academics at the start of their career will develop skills to work effectively in the classroom and learn to draw on pedagogical theory and research in informing their teaching. More experienced academics will be offered opportunities to revitalise their teaching and to try out new approaches to curriculum design and assessment.