Fashion stylists work for individuals, fashion houses and clothing brands. Their main responsibilities include providing fashion advice; choosing and co-ordinating outfits for models in photo shoots or actors in television and film; and choosing props and accessories and preparing them for shoots.
- Keeping up to date with current and changing trends in fashion and design.
- Advising clients on fashion styling for visuals.
- Selecting the most appropriate pieces from collections and ranges for the shoot.
- Purchasing props for shoots.
- Supervising photo shoots.
Travel: travel to various locations for meetings and photo shoots is integral to the job; international travel is usually a feature.
Working hours: are typically long and irregular.
Location: Many stylists are based in Dublin and Belfast, and are required to travel.
Relevant degree subjects are fashion merchandising, styling and designing. Institutes such as the National College of Art and Design in offer a variety of appropriate courses. The fashion industry is extremely competitive, making relevant experience essential for getting ahead.