Business - Management Stream
What is the Master of Business (Management Stream)?
The WIT Master of Business (Management Stream) programme is aimed at individuals who wish pursue a career in general management. It has been developed with a strong focus on applied learning showing students how they can make the connections between theory and practice. The programme is offered for both full-time and part-time students especially for executives who aspire to first-line management positions. The course provides students with an analytical understanding of general management techniques and the scope to apply this knowledge creatively to real-work situations.
As part of the programme, students will:
• Engage in a business simulation management exercise where they have the opportunity to work in teams and make strategic decisions about their business.
• Participate in a Dragons Den event and compete with your colleagues to attract funding for your new business idea.
• Travel on an International study tour programme to Brussels where you will have the opportunity to take lectures at the Irish Institute in Leuven and participate in a case exercise with other postgraduate students http://www.leuveninstitute.eu/site/index.php
• Analyse a real-life company as part of your Entrepreneurship and innovation 'live' company case study exercise. Every year students engage in a case exercise involving real-life companies which are drawn from the ArcLabs Innovation Centre as well as other start-up companies from across the south east of Ireland.
• A H1 or 2.1 overall award in a strong specialist Business Management undergraduate degree or a General Business undergraduate degree with a Management specialism.
• Students from a non-business degree (example – BA or BSc), but have taken Management modules during their studies and have achieved a minimum grade of 60% in those subjects.
• In some instances graduates who have achieved a 2nd class honours grade 2 in the degrees listed above and who can demonstrate a high level of performance in the Management related subjects may be considered for interview and short listing.
• Applicants whose first language is not English must submit evidence of competency in English, please see WIT's English Language Requirements for details.
• If you wish to pursue this programme in a part time capacity please contact the programme director Dr. Paul Morrissey at firstname.lastname@example.org who will discuss this in more detail with you.
Business Simulation 1
Innovation Management and Design
Management Skills Development
Business Simulations 2
International Study Trip
Managing Corporate Creativity
Applied Business Project
Research Paper Series 1: Applied Research Methods Paper
Research Paper Series 2: International Business and Politics Paper
Research Paper Series 3: Governance and Ethics Paper
Note: In semester 3 students will complete a dissertation or applied business project or the 3 research papers.
1 year full-time, part-time mode also available.
Programme fee details are available on the Postgraduate Fee Schedule displayed on our website at www.wit.ie/pgfees
Post Course Info
Graduate career prospects from the MBS Management are excellent with in excess of 95% of our graduates gaining employment within six months of completion of the programme (recent survey undertaken by School in association with Careers Centre). Graduates from the programme are employed in roles such as operations management, team leadership, continuous improvement, supply chain management and logistics in companies such as Facebook, Kerry Group, TSSG and Glanbia.
In addition to the academic content, the course also includes elements designed to give practical employment experience, and develop professional skills. As part of the programme, students have access to WIT's Careers Management Centre and they work closely careers advisers to support them with career development from initial self-assessment through the job search and beyond.
Students benefit from a customised Seminar Series which brings together invited keynote speakers from a diverse range of businesses and public policy organisations, so that students have the opportunity to learn from industry-leading practitioners. Previous MBS students have benefited from these close links with industry and many of our partner organisations have been happy to consider our students for first job positions alongside more experienced applicants.
The course also incorporates a number of professional development workshops (including a day-long team development event at induction, an international study tour and a 'Dragons Den' competition event) during the year to extend student communication and presentation skills, enhance self-awareness, teamwork and cultural sensitivity, and allow graduates to perform effectively in organisations upon graduation. A graduate may also apply for further post graduate Level 10 studies, such as a PhD by Research at WIT or to other third level institutions, either nationally or internationally.