Business - Marketing Stream - Waterford
The MBS (Marketing Stream) is one-year full time or two-years part time taught programme aimed at preparing graduates for marketing and sales careers within organisations. Through our interactions with companies, SETU Waterford School of Business has identified a need to provide an innovative and practice-based marketing programme which will prepare graduates for roles in marketing, branding, product development, sales, market research and international sales practice. The course was developed in collaboration with key stakeholders such as the South East branch of the Marketing Institute of Ireland and partner companies from the region including Glanbia and Flahavans.
The course addresses a clear need for graduates skilled in the application of specialist marketing techniques. Graduates are equipped with the expertise to trade domestically and internationally, create and execute advertising campaigns, collect and analyse data relating to market opportunities, manage customer relationships, develop and execute digital marketing strategies, and participate in the viability testing and launch of new product concepts.
The Master of Business (Marketing Stream) is distinguished by the depth and breadth of the theoretical and practice based material addressed. The programme facilitates students in developing a keen critical awareness of core business concepts, as well as allowing them to specialise in contemporary marketing theory and practice. Emphasis is placed on integrating key theoretical developments, with an ability to critically analyse and apply this theory in live business situations. Particular focus is given to the rapidly emerging and evolving area of Digital Marketing.
" Innovative mix of core business modules and discipline specific Marketing modules.
" Intensive focus on practice-based learning, with many modules incorporating live interaction with organisations in problem solving situations.
" Research-led and informed curriculum with an opportunity to undertake both academic and applied research.
" Exposure to the unique blend of theoretical and practical concepts in business formation and development as well we reflective practice.
" Opportunity to learn from business leaders through our Contemporary Issues in Business seminar series which is designed to facilitate an in-depth understanding of contemporary aspects of business and the application to practice
" Access to our new state of the art Digital Marketing Lab kindly sponsored by Salesforce.
" Experience best business practice in a global environment via our International Study Tour module.
" Modules flexibly delivered at a time that suits students, for those taking the course full time, they can attend on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons/evenings and for the part-time cohort, they can attend on Thursday afternoon/evening.
Who is the Master of Business (Marketing Stream) for?
If you have a degree in marketing or a general business degree with a marketing major/specialization and you would like to pursue a career in marketing, then this programme has been designed with you in mind.
The course aims to equip graduates with modern tools for effective decision making and to provide them with the ability to evaluate their decisions in the context of complex institutional frameworks.
The specific objectives are:
- To equip students with an advanced level of knowledge of the theories, models and practice in their subject specialisation together with an understanding of how each integrates within the wider business environment.
- To foster a learning environment that stimulates the personal and professional development of students in an interdisciplinary format.
- To develop high levels of proficiency in research through the undertaking of a dissertation project in a chosen area.
- To focus on an exploration of the interrelationships across business functions using case studies with a view towards documenting best practice.
- To facilitate the transition from college to the world of work.
Business Simulation 1
Innovation Management & Design
Contemporary Sales & Marketing Practice
Strategic Marketing Planning
Business Simulation 2
International Study Trip
Customer Retention Management
Strategic Digital Marketing
Applied Business Project
Research Paper Series 1: Applied Methodology Paper
Research Paper Series 2: International Business and Politics Paper
Research Paper Series 3: Governance and Ethics Paper
Note: In semester 3 students will complete a dissertation or applied business project of the 3 research papers.
• A H1 or 2.1 overall award in a strong specialist business marketing undergraduate degree or a general business undergraduate degree with a marketing major/specialism.
• Students from a non-business degree (example - BA in Hospitality Management) must have taken relevant business modules during one year of their studies and achieved a minimum grade of 60% in those subjects.
• In some instances graduates who have achieved a 2nd class honours grade 2 in the degrees listed above and who can demonstrate a high level of performance in the marketing related subjects may be considered for interview and short listing.
• Applicants whose first language is not English must submit evidence of competency in English, please see WIT's English Language Requirements for details.
• If you wish to pursue the Master of Business (Marketing Stream) in a part time capacity please contact the programme director Dr. Paul Morrissey at email@example.com who will discuss this in more detail with you.
APPLICATIONS CLOSING 25 Aug 23
1 - 2 years. Full Time/ Part Time
Flexible mode over a two year period taking 2-3 modules per semester.
Programme fee details are available on the Postgraduate Fee Schedule displayed on our website at www.wit.ie/pgfees
Post Course Info
Staff in the business school have nurtured important relationships with industry and the professional bodies over many years and these companies contact us regularly with employment opportunities. The MBS (Marketing Stream) is closely aligned to the RIKON research group and Walton Institute which provide an easily accessible network for our students to be informed on current ideas, thinking and employment opportunities in industry. SETU Waterford also has a well-established Careers Centre and website providing support and advice to students.
Career prospects for Master of Business (Marketing Stream) graduates are excellent with graduates employed in a large number of areas ranging from digital marketing, marketing consultancy and advertising creation, to brand & reputation management. Our graduates work in marketing roles at some of the following companies: Salesforce, Glanbia, Chia Bia, Agora Group, Bord Bia, Rothco, Paddy Power and Ryanair amongst others.
A graduate may also apply for further postgraduate Level 10 studies, such as a PhD by Research in SETU Waterford or to other third level institutions, either nationally or internationally.