Dance - Irish Dance Studies
The programme provides students with contextual and historical knowledge relating to different Irish dance practices.
• Repertoire and Style in Irish Traditional Dance Performance 1
• Dance Ethnography
• Introduction to Fieldwork Techniques
• Introduction to Ritual Studies
Options: (pick 2 x 3 credits each):
• Independent Study 1
• Media Technologies for Performing Arts & Arts Research
• Introduction to Somatics 1
• Critical engagements with Irish Traditional Music
• Writing and the Documentation of Arts Practice 1
• Broadening: introduction to Placemaking
• Colloquium 1
• History of Irish Traditional Dance
• Repertoire and Style in Irish Traditional Dance Performance 2
Options: (Pick 2 x 3 credits each):
• Independent Study 2
• Introduction to Somatics 2
• Critical Contexts for Arts Management and Cultural Policy
• Writing and the Documentation of Arts Practice 2
• Broadening through Awareness, Activism, and the Arts
• Choreography for camera
• Colloquium 2
• Final Presentation
A primary degree in a suitable discipline with first or second class honours or an approved professional qualification (Primary degree: Level 8 - National Qualifications Authority of Ireland). An interview will be required in all cases, as well as an audition where necessary. Candidates may be required to submit additional audio visual and/or written material.
How to apply:
1. Choose your programme.
2. Check closing date for the programme.
3. Apply online at www.ul.ie
4. Have your supporting documentation ready to upload.
5. Pay the application fee (€35 online / €40 bank draft or cheque).
6. Submit your application.
What to Include with your Application
Qualification transcripts and/or certificates (including certified English translations if applicable)
A one page supporting statement
A copy of your birth certificate/passport
If your qualifications have been obtained in a country where English is an official language this will suffice
If this is not available, the following additional documents must be provided:
• English translation of your qualification(s)/transcripts
• English language competency certificate
For more information Click Here
Note: Due to Covid-19 restrictions, any interviews or auditions (as required by the Course Director) during the application process will now take place virtually.
1 year Full Time
Start Date: 09/Sep/2019
Post Course Info
The programme is particularly beneficial for students wishing to pursue careers in the following: dance research, performance studies, Irish studies, media studies, dance education, arts development, heritage and tourism, and cultural organisations.