About University of Limerick
About University of Limerick
The University of Limerick (UL), is a leading institution known for outstanding research located on the west coast of Ireland along the picturesque River Shannon and enjoys an unspoiled natural environment blended with world class teaching and research facilities. Since founded in 1972 it has truly developed into a leading national and international university.
UL was awarded prestigious 5-star rankings for graduate employability, innovation and knowledge transfer, teaching, engagement, internationalisation and infrastructure by QS Stars independent assessors.
With close to 16,000 students, including more than 2,500 international students each year, UL is a young and enterprising university with a proud record of innovation in education and scholarship. A survey of Irish students recently voted UL Ireland’s most popular university with a satisfaction rating of 85%.
If you’re looking for a smaller Irish city with a lot of soul and culture, look no further than Limerick.
As Ireland’s third largest city, it is buzzing with festivals, a varied nightlife, and vibrant shopping and arts scenes. Think small-town feel with a big heart, mixed with all the comforts and excitement of modern city living!
If you’re a fan of sport you’ll get on great in Limerick! Proudly crowned Ireland’s sporting capital, this city has a wealth of opportunities for athletes and armchair fans alike, from Gaelic football, to golf, rugby to cycling and even hurling – Ireland’s national sport.
You can discover Limerick’s other side by taking advantage of the River Shannon, which winds its way through the city out to the middle of the university’s campus. Seek out medieval treasures like the walls of King John’s Castle or venture into the Hunt Museum for a fascinating collection of artefacts that date back to the Iron and Bronze Age.
- Limerick was Ireland's first City of Culture in 2014.
- Limerick is Ireland’s third largest city
- Almost 50% of Limerick’s population is under the age of 35; 25,000 of which are students.
- Limerick is the prime destination to travel around Ireland.
- Limerick is one of the most affordable cities in Ireland for accommodation – better value than Galway, Cork or Dublin!
- Limerick is only 20 minutes from the international airport in Shannon.
To discover more about Limerick go here
University of Limerick
So why choose UL? This video will tell you why.
Here are some of our top reasons why you should join UL:
- UL's graduate employment rate for 2018 primary degree-holders is now 8% higher than the HEA’s most recently-available national average figure.
- UL is ranked World No. 2 for International Student Happiness
- Best Accommodation Quality and Access in Ireland
- Best Library in Ireland - Our new, world-class library is one of the largest in Ireland and one of the most digitally advanced in the world
- 1st globally for Social Activities
- 1st in Ireland for Sports Facilities with the largest all-weather sports field complex in Europe
- The Sunday Times Irish University of the Year 2019
We were voted Best Student Campus in 2019
Here is a link to our blog about the 5 Reasons to Stay on at UL for Postgraduate Study
Postgraduate Education at UL
We offer over 100 full-time taught programmes, a multitude of research opportunities, as well as over 50 part time, flexibly delivered and fully online programmes to suit adult learners and working professionals. Check them all out here.
We have five faculties across our Postgraduate offerings here at UL:
- Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
- Education and Health Sciences
- Irish World Academy
- Kenny Business School
- Science and Engineering
You can learn more about them here.
Students have the opportunity to live in any of our six newly refurbished village communities based on campus which are run by our Campus Life Services team.
If living off campus is your preference, there are plenty of residential homes within a 10 minute walk of campus that will offer rooms to rent for UL students.
You can learn more about accommodation at UL, fees, supports and the various options you have here.
How to Apply
Applications for taught or research programmes are made using our online application form, and are welcomed all year round. For more information click here.
The University of Limerick has a strong employability focus and is committed to equipping students and graduates with skills and competencies they will need to build successful careers. This is where our careers team set us apart.
Did you know that?
- UL is ranked third in Europe for career preparation
- Our graduate employment rate is consistently higher than the national average – UL grads get the jobs!
More from University of Limerick
Facts and figures
- Number of students: 6500
- Number of employees: 1500