About University of Limerick
The University of Limerick (UL), is a leading institution known for outstanding research located on the west coast of Ireland along the picturesque River Shannon and enjoys an unspoiled natural environment blended with world class teaching and research facilities. Since founded in 1972 it has truly developed into a leading national and international university.
UL has been awarded prestigious 5-star rankings for graduate employability, innovation and knowledge transfer, teaching, engagement, internationalisation and infrastructure by QS Stars independent assessors.
With close to 16,000 students, including more than 2,500 international students each year, UL is a young and enterprising university with a proud record of innovation in education and scholarship. A survey of Irish students recently voted UL Ireland’s most popular university with a satisfaction rating of 85%.
Have a look for yourself, experience the University of Limerick virtually here.
University of Limerick
So why choose UL? This video will tell you why.
Here are some of our top reasons why you should join UL:
- UL has the highest ranking of all third level institutions for Student Experience (source: Good University Guide 2022)
- UL Graduates Earn More Than Those from Any Other Irish University, outside Dublin (source: HEA 2021)
- UL is ranked in the Top 200 Global Universities for Graduate Employability (source: QS Graduate Employability Rankings 2022)
- UL brings more employers onto campus than any other Irish 3rd level institution (source: QS Graduate Employability Rankings 2022)
- UL's graduate employment rate for 2018 primary degree-holders is now 8% higher than the HEA’s most recently-available national average figure.
- UL is ranked World No. 2 for International Student Happiness
- Best Library in Ireland - Our new, world-class library is one of the largest in Ireland and one of the most digitally advanced in the world
- 1st globally for Social Activities and 1st in Ireland for Sports Facilities with the largest all-weather sports field complex in Europe
We were voted Best Student Campus in 2019 and again in 2020.
Postgraduate Education at UL
Curiosity is the engine of achievement and at UL, you’ll find a postgraduate community for the curious, where purpose meets passion. We offer over 100 full-time taught programmes, a multitude of research opportunities, as well as a broad suite of part time, flexibly delivered and fully online programmes to suit adult learners and working professionals. Check them all out here .
Dedicated to educating the professional workforce across Ireland and internationally, our progressive programmes are fully accredited, informed by industry and designed for working professionals. We understand the challenges of busy adult learners and offer a range of flexible delivery methods to suit a variety of needs. Getting the right fit is important, which is why we strive to match learners with the best course for them. We have five faculties across our Postgraduate offerings here at UL:
- Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
- Education and Health Sciences
- Irish World Academy
- Kenny Business School
- Science and Engineering
You can learn more about them here .
Students have the opportunity to live in any of our six newly refurbished village communities based on campus which are run by our Campus Life Services team.
If living off campus is your preference, there are plenty of residential homes within a 10 minute walk of campus that will offer rooms to rent for UL students.
You can learn more about accommodation at UL, fees, supports and the various options you have here .
How to Apply
Applications for taught or research programmes are made using our online application form, and are welcomed all year round. For more information click here .
The University of Limerick has a strong employability focus and is committed to equipping students and graduates with skills and competencies they will need to build successful careers. This is where our careers team set us apart.
Did you know that?
- Our graduate employment rate is consistently higher than the national average - UL grads get the jobs!
If you’re looking for a smaller Irish city with a lot of soul and culture, look no further than Limerick.
As Ireland’s third largest city, it is buzzing with festivals, a varied nightlife, and vibrant shopping and arts scenes. Think small-town feel with a big heart, mixed with all the comforts and excitement of modern city living!
If you’re a fan of sport you’ll get on great in Limerick! Proudly crowned Ireland’s sporting capital, this city has a wealth of opportunities for athletes and armchair fans alike, from Gaelic football, to golf, rugby to cycling and even hurling – Ireland’s national sport.
You can discover Limerick’s other side by taking advantage of the River Shannon, which winds its way through the city out to the middle of the university’s campus. Seek out medieval treasures like the walls of King John’s Castle or venture into the Hunt Museum for a fascinating collection of artefacts that date back to the Iron and Bronze Age.
- Limerick is Ireland’s third largest city
- Almost 50% of Limerick’s population is under the age of 35; 25,000 of which are students.
- Limerick is ideally located for proximity to the Wild Atlantic Way
- Limerick is one of the most affordable cities in Ireland for accommodation - better value than Galway, Cork or Dublin!
- Limerick is only 20 minutes from the international airport in Shannon.
- Limerick was Ireland's first City of Culture in 2014.
To discover more about Limerick click here .