Engineering - Flight Test Engineering
What is the programme about?
The aim of the Masters and Postgraduate Diploma of Engineering in Flight Test Engineering is to develop theoretical and applied skills to allow graduates work in the field of flight testing for both manned and unmanned aerial vehicles. Students will learn about the overall design of flight vehicles and its associated engineering systems in order to develop the appropriate test flights as part of the certification process. The programme will teach students how to test aerial vehicles safely, measure their performance from raw data and determine their flying qualities. Students will learn the necessary measurement techniques, instrumentation and data analysis methods required to collect and reduce flight test data to standard atmospheric conditions and then expand those results for publication in pilots operating manuals.
As part of the programme students will acquire comprehensive knowledge on propulsion and avionics systems allowing them to evaluate their shortcomings and determine what flight test techniques should be used.
Special Features of this course
At present there is no other programme in the specialist area of Flight Test Engineering on offer in Ireland, successful graduates will have a unique skillset.
What subject areas will I study?
Aerial Vehicle Platforms
Electric and Hybrid Propulsion
Flight Control Systems
Quality and Environmental Testing
Research Methods for Engineering
Unmanned Aerial Vehicles
Data Acquisition and Analysis
Aviation Finance and Legislation
Avionics Hardware and Software Certification
Spacecraft Systems Engineering
1. Graduates with a minimum of 2.2 honours in a Level 8 degree such as Aerospace/Aeronautical/Aircraft Engineering.
2. Graduates with a Level 7 Distinction award in an Aerospace/Aeronautical/Aircraft or equivalent programme with a minimum 3 years aviation experience.
3. EU and International graduates whose qualifications which are in line with the Bologna agreement or the international NARIC system for Level 8 comparison.
4. International learners must have an English Language score of 6.0 ILETS or a Duolingo score of 100.
1 year full-time.
Post Course Info
What will I be able to do when I finish the programme?
Graduates will acquire the knowledge and technical expertise to work cross functionally and manage complex test campaigns throughout the entire lifecycle of a Flight Test project.
• Work and collaborate with test pilots, design engineers, aircraft maintenance engineer's and certifying staff.
• Analyse, design, interpret performance data, pinpoint improvement strategies, and understand safety and ethical requirements related to the flight test.
• Develop the skill and technical knowledge to be the focal point of the team.
What follow-on study opportunities are available?
Successful graduates of this programme may apply to undertake a PhD at the Institute of Technology Carlow or other third-level institutions.
Potential employment opportunities
• Avionics Engineer
• Mechanical Systems Engineer
• Navigation Engineer
• Systems Test Engineer
• Flight Control Engineer
• Airworthiness Engineer