Law - General - LLM
The LLM General is designed to enhance students' legal skills and enrich their knowledge of a variety of legal subjects across a broad spectrum from Criminology to Family law, from Global Competition Law to Human Rights Law. It is suited to those looking for an advanced legal education but who do not wish to focus on a single branch of law. The programme is designed to facilitate students in developing their own unique profile, allowing students to combine diverse branches of the law for their postgraduate study.
• Advanced Legal Research Skills
3 electives from:
• Law of International Trade Organisations
• Law of International Business Associations
• Comparative International Protection of Human Rights Law
• International Business Transactions
• Criminal Justice Processes and Sentencing
• Law of the European Convention of Human Rights
• Penology and Victimology
• Regulatory Crime
• Contemporary Challenges in Medical Law and Ethics
• Dissertation Methodology
3 electives from:
• Counter Terrorism & International Business
• Global Competition Law
• International Labour Law
• Comparative & European Criminal Justice
• Law of Credit and Security
• International Protection of Intellectual Property Rights
• International Criminal Law
• Policing and Human Rights
• International Perspectives on Property Law
• International Tort Law and Business
• Advanced Family Law: Standpoint and Rights-Based Perspectives
Part Time Programme Content
Part-time students complete the programme over a 24 month period by taking two modules in both the autumn and spring semesters of each year, before completing a dissertation in the summer semester of the second year. The module selection for each semester will be by agreement with the Course Director.
A second class honours in an undergraduate law degree or in another primary degree in which the legal component accounts for at least 50% of the whole programme (Level 8 - National Qualifications Authority of Ireland) will be required for enrolment on this Masters programme. In exceptional circumstances an applicant who cannot satisfy the undergraduate requirement may be accepted on the basis of relevant professional experience.
If your qualifications have been obtained in a country where English is an official language this will suffice
If this is not available, the following additional documents must be provided:
• English translation of your qualification(s)/transcripts
• English language competency certificate
How to apply:
1. Choose your programme.
2. Check closing date for the programme.
3. Apply online at www.ul.ie
4. Have your supporting documentation ready to upload.
5. Pay the application fee (€35 online / €40 bank draft or cheque).
6. Submit your application.
Please have the following documents ready to upload with your application:
- Qualification transcripts and certificates
- English language qualification if English is not your first language
- Certified English translations of your transcripts/certificates where the originals are in a language other than English.
- A copy of your birth certificate (long document).
1 year Full-time or 2 years Part-time.
Start Date: 09/Sep/2019
Post Course Info
The LLM Law General won Postgraduate course of the Year (Law category) 2017 at the GradIreland Higher Education Awards, where judges commended the programmes excellence in teaching and its employability focus post graduation.